Menu

Co-op might fall through....now I might need to figure out some more curriculum....

Sdel

*sigh*  My daughter and I were so looking forward to taking something at our co-op this year.  She was dead set on Spanish and art (I was *really* looking forward to art).  I went to sign ups today and found out the art teacher cancelled last minute for schedule conflicts that couldn't be resolved and the Spanish teacher for the Flip Flop class hasn't been heard from all summer and didn't show for sign ups.  They have a teacher for high school art that may or may not agree to do elementary art.  The other Spanish teacher is trying to decide if she is going to cancel one of her high school classes (only two signed up) in favor of offering a second lower level class to catch all the interest from the Flip Flop class that may not happen. 

I have to admit, I handled it worse than my daughter.  But I can't sign her up for alternatives until I know if I can get her into her first choices, and by then the alternatives will probably be full if the first choice isn't happening.  I can live without the Spanish class but I'm *not* crafty and my daughter adores art, so I can't get away without it.

Any recommendations of 1st grade art curriculum if I need to put something together last minute?

Stefanie

Here are 2 inexpensive open-and-go options:

Evan-Moor's How to Teach Art to Children coupled with artist studies/ art-related literature, such Mike Venezia's "Getting to Know the World's Greatest Artists" series, the "How the Artists See..." series, and picture books featuring artists and their works.

Books from MaryAnn Kohl. My favorites are Discovering Great Artists and Storybook Art