Menu

Getting Refunds for Over Charges at Online Subscription Homeschool Sites

I have a subscription at an online homeschooling site. Somehow, I ended up with 2 subscriptions when I tried to pay this year's subscription fee. I immediately contacted the site owner and I was told not to worry and that I wouldn't be double billed. And that if I was double billed I would receive a refund.

Well, I was double billed on the 1st. I sent 2 e-mails and received no response. I sent a 3 rd e-mail explaining that if I didn't receive a response by 11:00 AM today I would be contacting PayPal for a refund. Just before 11:00 I finally got a response that the site owner is moving and that I should remind her in a week.  :blink:

This is not acceptable to me. I would like to stay subscribed to this site, but…part of me is thinking of having Paypal refund me for both subscriptions and no longer doing business with this site/provider. I'm really tired of unprofessional homeschool authors and sites, especially the ones that charge professional or above professional fees.

I just want to give Peace Hill Press a plug for ultra professional service. I wish other homeschool curriculum providers would take lessons from them.

Why do so many homeschool curriculum providers think homeschool customers should give them a free pass from professional behavior?

"Remind me in a week." after  a promise it wouldn't happen and THREE e-mails.  :cursing:

I'm just unsure whether I could be later penalized for complaining.

I feel like I owe others here the information, though, as I have recommended the site in the past.

Gateway to the Classics.

I don't know if it's just my account or if all accounts are the same. There is an unsubscribe button, but it doesn't work for me. My ability to unsubscribe has been disabled.

I do feel like I should be compensated somehow for THEIR mistake.

I think I might contact Paypal. The more I think about this, I think others need to be warned. It doesn't feel safe to have a company that can disable my ability to cancel a subscription, charge me, and hold my money.

I have the feeling this might be more of a money issue than a time issue. Moving is expensive as well as time consuming. And who knows, maybe she isn't even moving and that is a lie. And "remind me". Excuse me, but wasn't THREE e-mails enough?

That's true, a refund is as simple as logging into Paypal and clicking a button. Remind me? Hmmm, sounds like she doesn't have the funds or needs them still. Honestly... I'd file now so that Paypal can secure the funds before they are withdrawn (assuming she still has funds in her PP account). 

I called paypal. They refunded me for both subscriptions. I liked using the Gateway to the Classics site, but I just don't feel safe doing business with them anymore and wanted all financial ties severed.

Thank you all for the information.

From now on, I'll just purchase individual titles through Amazon.

Now I have almost $100.00 in my Paypal account that I should figure out how to transfer back into my bank account. But there is that incredibly irresponsible part of me, that thinks if it's already in Paypal, then I can spend it on books. It's hard to be good, when you actually have to figure out how to be good.

Now I have almost $100.00 in my Paypal account that I should figure out how to transfer back into my bank account.

It is easy, Hunter, if you have a connected bank account, but it will take a few days, so unfortunately you don't get it instantly.

$50.00 is a lot this month. I'm thinking maybe $50.00 was a lot to her, too, but…that isn't my problem. I feel a bit guilty which is stupid. If this were not a homeschooler, I'd be thinking differently, but somehow I've been conditioned to think homeschool authors and businesses deserve extra slack. And I know many of them think they do. I think part of my conditioning is based off of their expectations. The excuses when things go wrong are just so…surprising. The things you say to a sister hoping for a FAVOR, not a PAYING customer.

I feel guilty mentioning the company, like I'm a traitor. But, I only know this woman as a seller of a product and nothing else. There is nothing to betray. Two agents at PayPal laughed and said "I'm moving. Remind me in a week." is totally unacceptable. I even feel guilty writing that the Paypal agents laughed. LIke I'm mocking her online.

It's okay that the money will take a few days to transfer. I just need to figure out how to do it and do it. I think I did it once before a year or so ago.

I'm happy for the refund, but my belly hurts a little bit, that I've maybe hurt someone else. My social worker would tell me this is Stockholm Syndrome stuff.