Menu

Greek Mythology-based games?

My dd4 is currently enamored with Greek mythology. So far we have read D'Aulaires Greek mythology (and listened to them too many times in the car!), a handful of other audio CDs including DAXOS and Jim Weiss, read A Child's Introduction to Greek Mythology. We ended up buying the Schlessinger Media Greek Mythology DVD because I was tired of paying late fees at the library.

She loves the card game Zeus on the Loose, even though we have been playing it forever and I grity teeth and call it mental math practice!

I need new ideas. New books, new board games, new...anything at this point:)

Help me out before I end up bald from pulling out my hair from the endless repetition!

My boys enjoyed Mythmatical Battles, but I wouldn't recommend it for a 4 yo.

ETA: Though, looking at your sig, I guess if she's doing Beast Academy, it would actually be fine.  The math isn't that hard.  It's a card battle game so the steps might be a little complex...

I am sitting here with a wonderful book I just found for young children called "Alpha is for Anthropos." It teaches Greek letters, words and phrases to the tune of common sung nursery rhymes. The teacher guide has great suggestions for tying in Greek mythology lessons. For example, the word they learn in the first rhyme is "Anthropos," which she ties in to the story of Oedipus and the riddle of the sphinx, because the answer to the riddle is man. There are tips for using this with very young children, and for making it deeper for older kids. Plus they are learning real Greek words and phrases. I wouldn't say there are games in it, but there are lots of suggestions for wonderful activities.

We have Atlas vs Zeus. it's really not mythology focused except for the setting, but it's a 2 player strategy game. Your DD could probably manage it (we didn't get it until my DD was about 7, but she was playing games of similar complexity at your daughter's age).

Your DD is way young officially for it, but she might really enjoy the National Mythology Exam and preparing for it. The packets are pretty good, although worksheety. The ACL, in general, is friendly to young kids and homeschoolers (the only exception is the Greek exam-they don't want kids trying that one before high school). I started a monthly NME group for my young mythologist and discovered that there are a lot of kids who enjoy mythology, acting out the Ilias, dressing up in costumes, etc.

I used to have a monopoly-like board game called By Jove, made by Aristoplay. Not sure if you can still buy it or not, but my kids used to enjoy playing it.

Wow! It looks really great. I just ordered a copy. They are no longer in print an it may well be the most expensive game I have purchased to date...more than Settler's of Catan and Ticket to Ride!

I am sitting here with a wonderful book I just found for young children called "Alpha is for Anthropos." It teaches Greek letters, words and phrases to the tune of common sung nursery rhymes. The teacher guide has great suggestions for tying in Greek mythology lessons. For example, the word they learn in the first rhyme is "Anthropos," which she ties in to the story of Oedipus and the riddle of the sphinx, because the answer to the riddle is man. There are tips for using this with very young children, and for making it deeper for older kids. Plus they are learning real Greek words and phrases. I wouldn't say there are games in it, but there are lots of suggestions for wonderful activities.

This is beautiful! I think she will like the references to thing she knows. Strangely enough, our library has it!

But bonus, when I looked at Amazon there is a companion coloring book that I think she will really love. Thanks for the suggestion:)

Your DD is way young officially for it, but she might really enjoy the National Mythology Exam and preparing for it. The packets are pretty good, although worksheety. The ACL, in general, is friendly to young kids and homeschoolers (the only exception is the Greek exam-they don't want kids trying that one before high school). I started a monthly NME group for my young mythologist and discovered that there are a lot of kids who enjoy mythology, acting out the Ilias, dressing up in costumes, etc.

I just had a look at the website and think I will order a couple packets. She is a pretty workbook-y kind of kid, and worst case I can use them later if the interest continues.

I actually am quite thrilled with the interest. It may seem on appearances, a strange choice for a 4 yr old with all the graphic stories. But this kid is so incredibly sensitive to so much (a memorable meltdown when reading the story of Cinderella- because Cinderella lost her slipper!) that this is almost a way to introduce her a bit. The stories are so absurd to her, as well as so chronologically distant that I think she is able to process them a bit better.

Strange, but hey! Such a drastic difference I will take it.

Funnily enough, she has zero issues with violence in nature or the natural world. More tragedy and injustice:)