Menu

9th grade in NY - Suggestions

HI everyone.. Its been several years since I have been here. We homeschooled 5th grade then she went to a new middle school. Just finished 8th grade and we are now going to Homeschool high school.

So I could use any suggestions to get us started. She's not a huge fan of school, so curriculum that gets things done with out a big amount of in depth work would be great.

I picked up Saxon Algebra 1 but that is all we have so far.  Any ideas for non-Christian curriculums? 

or maybe share with me what you are using for 9th grade.

any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Hey Lindsey :)

Have you decided on a science? Or what "flavor" of history? How about starting a foreign language?

Dd's stuff (she's a bit advanced and eclectic lol):

English--outsourced class with Blue Tent Online

Language--outsourced Arabic 1 with TPS (we're a secular family but there wasn't much choice for Arabic so she's giving it a try)

Math--precalculus using Art of Problem Solving book (her strength)

Science--chemistry (my strength)

History---ancient world history built around a Teaching Company lecture series plus about fifteen book sources (her interest)

And her electives (her choices)

Intro to Archaeology---using a popular Archaeology 101 text (her strong interest)

AP Human Geography---my syllabus was approved by the College Board; small group with her cousin and a good friend (both public school freshmen); they started this summer

There are a lot of options, so it might help to narrow things down if you had an idea of courses.

For science, biology? physical science? something else?

For social science/humanities, doing history? american? world? a two-year world history? or doing geography? or something else?

Welcome back, Lindsay!  :seeya:

I have a rising 9th grader in NY, too. We're planning on SWB's History of the Ancient World, the reading list from TWTM, Warriner's Grammar, AoPS Alg II, Chemistry with Zumdahl and Chemguy, Wordly Wise 9, & Spanish Now.

Thank you all!

I was sort of going by the courses that her high school was offering for a good sense of what she needs for credits... because I am a bit nervous about it.  Not sure about the transcript part etc..

I'm thinking earth science, world history /geography

( already have algebra 1 Saxon materials. )

Need something for literature, grammar writing etc..

She has already taken 2 years of French and I believe has a high school credit for that but I would like her to continue it.

she also loves art so we will probably do something with that too.

plans on tennis lessons and would like to find a volley ball club.

Thank you for suggestions. I appreciate it.

Hey Lindsey :)

Have you decided on a science? Or what "flavor" of history? How about starting a foreign language?

Dd's stuff (she's a bit advanced and eclectic lol):

English--outsourced class with Blue Tent Online

Language--outsourced Arabic 1 with TPS (we're a secular family but there wasn't much choice for Arabic so she's giving it a try)

Math--precalculus using Art of Problem Solving book (her strength)

Science--chemistry (my strength)

History---ancient world history built around a Teaching Company lecture series plus about fifteen book sources (her interest)

And her electives (her choices)

Intro to Archaeology---using a popular Archaeology 101 text (her strong interest)

AP Human Geography---my syllabus was approved by the College Board; small group with her cousin and a good friend (both public school freshmen); they started this summer

Oh I bet she would love the intro to Archaeology! what are you using??

Thanks!

Oh I bet she would love the intro to Archaeology! what are you using??

Thanks!

Archaeology: Theories, Methods, and Practice (4th edition) by Colin Renfrew and Paul Bahn, published by Thames & Hudson, 2012

ISBN 9780500289761

I bought an excellent condition used copy for a decent price from amazon.

There's a companion website with vocab, activities, and additional information for each chapter---- http://college.thamesandhudsonusa.com/college/archaeology/archaeology6/welcome.aspx

I wrote up a syllabus for dd with readings, assignments, and a research paper. If you pm me I'd gladly email you a copy :)