Menu

Would you do this?

stephanie

I've posted before about my dd6 who isn't much into reading. I've come to accept that she just doesn't do well with OPG like my other dc did. So I'm using different techniques along with Phonic Pathways. She actually looked at it with me in the store and she said she liked it. So, looking through it I'm noticing that she is further along in the book than the beginning. However, she does not blend well yet...she still sounds out individual sounds as opposed to blending them like s-a instead of sa. KWIM? So I was thinking about starting in the beginning of the book even though it's below her level. I feel like she needs to start in the beginning and work her way up. I'm wondering if this sounds crazy for a 1st grader? Should I just continue where I think she may be in the book like she was in OPG? Did that make sense? LOL!

I know exactly what you mean! My dd is further in some of the things we are doing too, but I figure it will only reinforce what she already knows, plus make her more confidant. Plus, when starting something completely new for both of you, I think it would help to start at the beginning. You can always do more than one lesson a day, also, see how it goes, and skip what you need to. That's what we did last year with Saxon Math K. Some days, I did 7 or 8 lessons at a time!

Good luck!

Start at the beginning. Phonics Pathways is not too advanced for a 6 year old and working below her level may give her the confidence to enjoy reading.

I did some of it with my 10 year old last year.

A friend of mine did it with her 9 year old and the mom's spelling improved! (It was definitely below her reading level. This mom has a college degree and is smart, but was a victim of whole language.)

:iagree: Start from the beginning of Phonics Pathways. I used that with my 3 dc. I think that initial blending skill is very important. Plus, she should progress through that quickly and that will give her confidence. She could even play the fun games that PP has built into the lessons. You just have to make copies of them from the back pages onto card stock.

My DD resisted sounding out and still does. We moved on because sounding out the same words over and over again was frustrating for both of us. It worked really well. She reads very fluently now (even with feeling). Now she is done with phonics/ reading and we can work on spelling, which she doesn't seem to mind (wierd huh?)

Start at the beginning. Phonics Pathways is not too advanced for a 6 year old and working below her level may give her the confidence to enjoy reading.

I did some of it with my 10 year old last year.

A friend of mine did it with her 9 year old and the mom's spelling improved! (It was definitely below her reading level. This mom has a college degree and is smart, but was a victim of whole language.)

I agree with In The Great White North. Start at the beginning, give dd some confidence and move quickly through the parts she knows.

Also, if the size of the book itself seems overwhelming you can:

1. Cut the binding off the book and pull out 1 or 2 pages at a time.

2. Photocopy 1 or 2 pages at a time.

3. Copy the lesson onto a whiteboard, chalkboard or piece of paper.

I sometimes wonder if the little ones see these giant books and get overwhelmed. I imagine it might feel like I did at the beginning of a college class with a 700 page book in a subject I wasn't too keen on studying. :D

Best wishes!