Menu

workbook suggestions

we have never been heavy on the workbooks (in fact, we've been light to none), but as the new year approaches, I'm thinking they might be a good addition.  I have a rising 4th grade ds, 2nd grade ds, and almost 4 yo dd who just wants to "do school"!  I work part time outside the home.  I need something that I can just hand to dad or grandma and with our current curriculum, I feel like it's too much of a headache to lesson plan for the days I'm absent b/c it's so teacher intensive.  any workbooks you love (or anything similar you've used in conjunction with one or all of the following)?

rightstart math

all about spelling

SOTW

FLL

WWE

my biggest issue is work for children on days I work, so if you have suggestions other than workbooks, please pass them along!

THANK YOU!!!!!!

The Explode the Code workbooks are fabulous.  For your rising 4th grader, you might try Wordly Wise.  Also, Horizons Math worksheets are a good supplement for reinforcement, as building a good math foundation necessarily requires repetition.  IXL.com, though not a workbook, might meet your needs, as it gives feedback on answers and keeps a record of work completed.  It provides good review for both math and grammar.  Check the Homeschoolbuyers Co-op website for reduced pricing. 

Ideas of a few things you could completely outsource to dad and grandma:

Science

Looks like you could buy a complete science designed for multiple grades and let the not-you overseeing adult completely make sure science happens without needing anything from you other than the purchase of the program and supplies. If 2 different adults (dad and grandma) are overseeing, then just have them put a checkmark by each lesson as they complete it, and have them move the post-it note page marker to the next lesson, so the next adult knows where to pick up. Here are some complete programs:

- Exploration Education

- Super Charged Science (DVD based)

- Home Science Adventures: Astronomy, Birds, and Magnetism

- Noeo Science (could probably combine 2nd & 4th graders in the gr. 1-3 level) (Biology, Chemistry, Physics)

- Apologia Elementary Science (Astronomy, Botany, Zoology, Human Anatomy & Physiology, Chemistry & Physics)

Some Read Alouds

Also, what about read alouds that are ONLY done without you? If you have a list of books for family read aloud, how about farming out some of those? And if you don't have a list, then check out the 1000 good books list, and pick 8-10 chapter books for the year that will be the outsourced read-alouds.

SOTW Activity Book

How about outsourcing the go-along activities for SOTW to dad and grandma? Plan now before the school year starts for 1 hands-on a week, and collect all the items needed for each project in a ziplock bag, and hand it off each week.

Music: Learn to Play the Recorder

For the 4th grader, could be done virtually independently with Penny Gardner's Nine-Note Recorder Method book.

Geography Workbooks

Lots of great ones to choose from: The Complete Book of Geography & Maps; MCP Maps, Charts & Graphs; Evan-Moore...

Miscellaneous (things another adult can easily oversee):

- educational videos

- educational computer games / online games

- play some educational games

- oral drill/practice of math facts and spelling words

Workbooks for preschooler:

Kumon workbooks

Rod & Staff set of 4 workbooks

Everything for Early Learning OR Complete Book of Preschool

- also, now before the school year starts, put together a bunch of ziplock "busy" bags with sensory and fine motor and other "busy" activities for the preschooler -- both you AND the other supervising adult(s) can use these, rotating "busy bags" each week to keep them novel

Workbooks for 4th & 2nd grader:

- Geography (see above)

- Logic/Critical Thinking puzzles (Puzzlemania -- variety collections from Highlights magazine; Lollipop Logic series; etc)

- Math (Complete Book of Math -- there is one for grades 1-2, and one for grades 3-4)