Menu

Favorite Lit/comp

Preface:

Here's where we were coming from, to help if the programs I'm listing would be a match or a complete miss for your family: for grades 7-9 we used lit. programs -- after that we largely made our own Lit. ala WTM/WEM and using individual resources. Every year we aimed for a mix of novels, a novella, short stories, poetry, and a play or essay. A lot of our Lit. was done as aloud together reading / discussing. One year we covered an extra large amount a lot of short stories. We roughly matched a lot of the Lit. with our History time period, but each year we also did some things outside of that time/location.

Since you've already read about so many programs and what they cover/for what grades, and what the emphasis is, I'll just mention those programs that were *our* favorites, and why. We never did find any writing program that was a great fit for us -- and we tried many! If you have a student who is writing pretty well at this stage and doesn't need a lot of instruction, you might look at Excellence in Literature, as those programs cover good, classic works, and have an emphasis on writing. Just a thought!

Good luck, finding what works best for YOUR family! Warmest regards, Lori D.

- Lightning Lit & Comp 8

(gr. 7-9) One year. Can be used for a 9th grader who has never had any literary analysis or covered classic Literature previously. Covers novel, short story, poetry, biography/autobiography. Very gentle/helpful intro into literary analysis, with work pages to practice of specific literature lessons. The last half of the worksheets start guiding the student into practicing beginning analysis (reading an excerpt, answering analysis questions). Too lite for a student already familiar with literary analysis / formal Literature.

- Literary Lessons from the Lord of the Rings

(gr. 7-10) One year. Very gentle intro to beginning literary analysis; the 12 units of tangential material cover helpful topics about Literature (background info on the author/times; unit on the conventions of an epic; unit on genre of fantasy; poetry unit; 2 units analyzing Beowulf excerpts; 1 unit analyzing Sir Gawain excerpts; etc.).

For high school, really need to add some more works and guides to make a full Literature program (suggested: The Iliad OR The Odyssey, Beowulf, Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, selected Canterbury Tales, . No writing instruction or rubric; some writing assignment ideas. Too lite for a student already familiar with literary analysis / formal Literature.

- Windows to the World

(gr. 9-12) One semester (can expand to one year if you also get the Jill Pike syllabus). Teaches/practices annotation, specific step-by-step instruction in how to write a literary analysis and use your annotations as support; and covers 8-10 common literary elements and how they are at work. In-depth focus on 6 short stories. My opinion: excellent prep for how a student will read/write Literature in a college freshman comp class, and step by step guide into solid literary analysis. Solid early high school Literature program.

individual guides/resources:

- Garlic Press Discovering Literature Challenger Level: The Odyssey; To Kill a Mockingbird; The Giver; Lord of the Flies

- Progeny Press: Introduction to Poetry, Farenheit 451, Frankenstein, Doctor Jekyll & Mr. Hyde

- Portals to Literature: Diary of Anne Frank

- Parallel Shakespeare: Macbeth, teacher guide and student workbook

- Brightest Heaven of Invention: Christian Guide to 6 Shakespeare Plays

free resources:

- Glencoe Literature Library: Beowulf, Animal Farm, etc.
- Paul Brians, study guide notes: A Canticle for Leibowitz
- Sparknotes: Brave New World, etc.

Preface:

Here's where we were coming from, to help if the programs I'm listing would be a match or a complete miss for your family: for grades 7-9 we used lit. programs -- after that we largely made our own Lit. ala WTM/WEM and using individual resources. Every year we aimed for a mix of novels, a novella, short stories, poetry, and a play or essay. A lot of our Lit. was done as aloud together reading / discussing. One year we covered an extra large amount a lot of short stories. We roughly matched a lot of the Lit. with our History time period, but each year we also did some things outside of that time/location.

Since you've already read about so many programs and what they cover/for what grades, and what the emphasis is, I'll just mention those programs that were *our* favorites, and why. We never did find any writing program that was a great fit for us -- and we tried many! If you have a student who is writing pretty well at this stage and doesn't need a lot of instruction, you might look at Excellence in Literature, as those programs cover good, classic works, and have an emphasis on writing. Just a thought!

Good luck, finding what works best for YOUR family! Warmest regards, Lori D.

- Lightning Lit & Comp 8

(gr. 7-9) One year. Can be used for a 9th grader who has never had any literary analysis or covered classic Literature previously. Covers novel, short story, poetry, biography/autobiography. Very gentle/helpful intro into literary analysis, with work pages to practice of specific literature lessons. The last half of the worksheets start guiding the student into practicing beginning analysis (reading an excerpt, answering analysis questions). Too lite for a student already familiar with literary analysis / formal Literature.

- Literary Lessons from the Lord of the Rings

(gr. 7-10) One year. Very gentle intro to beginning literary analysis; the 12 units of tangential material cover helpful topics about Literature (background info on the author/times; unit on the conventions of an epic; unit on genre of fantasy; poetry unit; 2 units analyzing Beowulf excerpts; 1 unit analyzing Sir Gawain excerpts; etc.).

For high school, really need to add some more works and guides to make a full Literature program (suggested: The Iliad OR The Odyssey, Beowulf, Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, selected Canterbury Tales, . No writing instruction or rubric; some writing assignment ideas. Too lite for a student already familiar with literary analysis / formal Literature.

- Windows to the World

(gr. 9-12) One semester (can expand to one year if you also get the Jill Pike syllabus). Teaches/practices annotation, specific step-by-step instruction in how to write a literary analysis and use your annotations as support; and covers 8-10 common literary elements and how they are at work. In-depth focus on 6 short stories. My opinion: excellent prep for how a student will read/write Literature in a college freshman comp class, and step by step guide into solid literary analysis. Solid early high school Literature program.

individual guides/resources:

- Garlic Press Discovering Literature Challenger Level: The Odyssey; To Kill a Mockingbird; The Giver; Lord of the Flies

- Progeny Press: Introduction to Poetry, Farenheit 451, Frankenstein, Doctor Jekyll & Mr. Hyde

- Portals to Literature: Diary of Anne Frank

- Parallel Shakespeare: Macbeth, teacher guide and student workbook

- Brightest Heaven of Invention: Christian Guide to 6 Shakespeare Plays

free resources:

- Glencoe Literature Library: Beowulf, Animal Farm, etc.
- Paul Brians, study guide notes: A Canticle for Leibowitz
- Sparknotes: Brave New World, etc.

As usual, Lori, you pull through. Now that I've picked your brain, can you narrow your opinion down for a 10 grader who hates reading (we still read our Lit together and discuss), would probably be content with doing nothing but playing basketball or baseball all day? We've discussed literary elements, wrote literary analysis based on SWB guidelines, but felt it wasn't enough. I would LOVE to have something that combined lit and writing instruction, but it seems if they do, one is always weak, if ykwim.

We did follow your advice directly last year and had a great, fun, and relaxed year in Literature.I just feel I may need a little more pushing.

I've liked Teaching the Classics by Adam Andrews - this is a dvd program for mom to learn how to discuss literature.

Last year my ninth grader did an online class by Adam Andrews (Center for Literature) - it was a class where the students read the book and then discuss it online with other students led by Missy and Adam Andrews. there is an optional writing component you can sign up for, but we did not do. I was impressed with how my son's literary analysis skills grew through this class.

Bravewriter classes are working for my high school dysgraphic student, but many don't seem to like the format. It works great for us however.

I do a lot of putting my own literature together as well depending on the year.

EiW and WS are two of the ones I've been trying to decide on..lol.

Both are inexpensive.  Both break things down into small chunks. WS is totally workbook based and EIW is video and workbook which is a pro or con depending on the family.  I feel EIW is a bit less work on the parent's part than WS.  

Both are inexpensive.  Both break things down into small chunks. WS is totally workbook based and EIW is video and workbook which is a pro or con depending on the family.  I feel EIW is a bit less work on the parent's part than WS.  

Thank you for reminding me of this...I want workbook and video!

I would LOVE to have something that combined lit and writing instruction, but it seems if they do, one is always weak, if ykwim.

Yes, I do KWYM. :) The only thing I can think of that does both the Lit. and the Writing well is Windows to the World. From what I hear, Excellence in Writing requires a lot of writing; but does not have

We've discussed literary elements, wrote literary analysis based on SWB guidelines, but felt it wasn't enough… We did follow your advice directly last year and had a great, fun, and relaxed year in Literature...

Okay, not trying to cop out, BUT  :tongue_smilie: â€¦ since you had fun last year doing your own Lit ala SWB guidelines, and because that works well for your family to get exposure to classics AND gives you the ability to talk about the big ideas in the classics… I'd recommend you go with what works, and DIY again this year. (I know, I know, it's a pain to DIY to plan and read aloud/discuss… but, it works for your family!)

What exactly was not enough about doing your Lit. based on SWB guidelines? If not enough writing, you could require more written responses to study guide discussion questions. Or harder works. Or more variety of works. Or go extra-deep on one work every 9-12 weeks or so.

What specifically are you looking to add or increase or change from what you did last year?

We did follow your advice directly last year and had a great, fun, and relaxed year in Literature.I just feel I may need a little more pushing.

Okay, remind me of your lit. list from last year, and general thoughts of you and DS might like to tackle this year, and I'll push you with a new list of ideas and resources… ;)

Yes, I do KWYM. :) The only thing I can think of that does both the Lit. and the Writing well is Windows to the World. From what I hear, Excellence in Writing requires a lot of writing; but does not have

Okay, not trying to cop out, BUT  :tongue_smilie: â€¦ since you had fun last year doing your own Lit ala SWB guidelines, and because that works well for your family to get exposure to classics AND gives you the ability to talk about the big ideas in the classics… I'd recommend you go with what works, and DIY again this year. (I know, I know, it's a pain to DIY to plan and read aloud/discuss… but, it works for your family!)

What exactly was not enough about doing your Lit. based on SWB guidelines? If not enough writing, you could require more written responses to study guide discussion questions. Or harder works. Or more variety of works. Or go extra-deep on one work every 9-12 weeks or so.

What specifically are you looking to add or increase or change from what you did last year?

Okay, remind me of your lit. list from last year, and general thoughts of you and DS might like to tackle this year, and I'll push you with a new list of ideas and resources… ;)

I wish I knew how to multi-quote..lol.

Maybe I should do what you suggest? My problem, I think, is that it's too easy for me to be relaxed and become lazy with it. Then I find myself reading the entire book and forgetting to even really discuss it... :huh: ...I know, ridiculous, right? We just get into it and then at the end I realize we really didn't get in depth. I also don't know exactly how to get in deep or generate writing topics from it. I'm guessing that's what the study guides are for.

Last year you showed me a gentle approach to literature, gave me some ideas for books for boys, along many other ones. You gave me so many suggestions and I tried to tie them all in. I'm just worried that our gentle approach isn't thorough enough? Is it really credit worthy if we don't actually spend that many hours as they would in public school, but that we learned a lot and discussed a lot?

It's this kid of mine, this boy...lol. We're doing drivers ed right now, and he still wants me to sit with him and read along because there's so much reading and he says he understands better when I can elaborate and discuss it I don't mind, but will he ever do this on his own? I don't want to hamper his abilities when he's in college.

So specifically, I want to add more writing/writing instruction and go more in depth. SWB's questions to answer on Literary analysis were great, but I didn't feel it went into a lot of depth (probably my fault). It was great for identifying elements,but not for really making him consider as much as I know he can. I just don't know how to do it.

But you're right, I should stick with what works. I just need to have a solid plan with study guides for each work to help me...right?

Oh, I forgot to add...we are doing World Geography this year and haven't decided on Lit. yet. He's a young man who loves adventure/fantasy/military topics. I think I can find him a good list to go from though.

Just wanted to mention a few more options. We are using Lightning Literature and we do enjoy it but this next year we are going to try Smarr Literature and see how that works out. So wanted to mention Smarr. Another one that I remembered is Movies as Literature. I have never used it though. 

I know your pain :) I have taught English Comp/Lit for 5 years, the first two years I used solely IEW products (recommend them but it just wasn't something I could continue after 2 years) so I started creating my own yearly lessons for my co-op classes. This year I am creating specific ones for 7-8, 9-10, and 11-12..the last can be for 10-12 if a student is a strong writer. I include a number of assignments to keep it 'fresh' and fluid. Precis writings, rhetorical analyses, short stories, literature (usually 6 novels a year), essay construction, research paper helps, MLA helps, note taking helps, poetry, etc. This can be used at home but is easy for me to use in the co-op setting, it has just enough direction/instruction for the student (lesson assignments etc.) but also is geared to let the teacher add in their own touches...it's a free resource and I should have the remaining lessons for this year loaded up in the next two weeks...hopefully, one day when I have time I can list them by assignments so people can just pick ones they might like, but my time is highly limited :) Hope this helps! www.wordlyways.com

I know your pain :) I have taught English Comp/Lit for 5 years, the first two years I used solely IEW products (recommend them but it just wasn't something I could continue after 2 years) so I started creating my own yearly lessons for my co-op classes. This year I am creating specific ones for 7-8, 9-10, and 11-12..the last can be for 10-12 if a student is a strong writer. I include a number of assignments to keep it 'fresh' and fluid. Precis writings, rhetorical analyses, short stories, literature (usually 6 novels a year), essay construction, research paper helps, MLA helps, note taking helps, poetry, etc. This can be used at home but is easy for me to use in the co-op setting, it has just enough direction/instruction for the student (lesson assignments etc.) but also is geared to let the teacher add in their own touches...it's a free resource and I should have the remaining lessons for this year loaded up in the next two weeks...hopefully, one day when I have time I can list them by assignments so people can just pick ones they might like, but my time is highly limited :) Hope this helps! www.wordlyways.com

I can't wait to look at this!

I can't wait to look at this!

Just added the senior and intro materials...last year's is up there...will upload the 9th/10th when I get back from vacation :) Hope they can be of use to families! I have a blast teaching them to our students...the last assignment of the year for the Intro is kind of cryptic...I didn't want to reveal to much and do not have time to lay out ideas for each lesson, I'm a kind of go with the flow teacher. I plan on doing an Amazing Race wrap up by pairing students up and going through all the 'locales' we visited during the  year (sentence structure/vocabulary/literary devices) and having them compete for the Amazing team award :) Can't let it out or my students will be cramming for it for the competitive edge :)

We used the Lost Tools of Writing last year for use with literature-- though the emphasis was more on writing skills when we used the book. I think it is an excellent tool for use with any book (for 7th graders and up), with step-by-step, well-guided instructions, and with clear rubrics.The companion DVD is very helpful (most lessons are about 15 minutes or less, from what I remember). Although the DVD is addressing the teacher or parent, I'd let my student watch. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just added the senior and intro materials...last year's is up there...will upload the 9th/10th when I get back from vacation :) Hope they can be of use to families! I have a blast teaching them to our students...the last assignment of the year for the Intro is kind of cryptic...I didn't want to reveal to much and do not have time to lay out ideas for each lesson, I'm a kind of go with the flow teacher. I plan on doing an Amazing Race wrap up by pairing students up and going through all the 'locales' we visited during the  year (sentence structure/vocabulary/literary devices) and having them compete for the Amazing team award :) Can't let it out or my students will be cramming for it for the competitive edge :)

Are you back from vacation yet?!  ;) I have been stalking your website for a few days as I try to figure out what to do next year  to teach mostly 10th graders lit/comp in co-op.

For anyone:   This year I am using LTW 1 but with ancient lit.  I think it will work pretty well and I have slowed the pace to add in some time for book discussion.  I will be using questions from Teaching the Classics and will try to get my hands on TWEM to give me more helps in discussion.  But this is not a lit analysis course, it's really just literature of the ancients and writing the persuasive essay.

These kids have all had at least one year of IEW, and probably various other misc writing.  Now they'll have a solid year of the persuasive essay.  I would love to just continue with lit that corresponds to our history rotation (medieval) but all the lit analysis and comp  guides seem to use very specific lit that doesn't translate well to me using my own selections.  It seems WttW would be perfect except for that, and EiL doesn't have enough specific instruction maybe for kids very new to literary analysis and writing about it.  Anyone have any thoughts on that or other suggestions? Or is lit analysis critical enough to forget trying to tie in the corresponding lit (just assign some of those titles as pure reading for their history class).

Ok, no more rambling... :willy_nilly: