Menu

Can you help me put something in writing.

lynn

The situation is dd and neighbor friend have a lot of ongoing drama.  They are in the same grade and I do not want dd in class with friend.  How would you word this to what I need.

I have a few things in my head to keep it positive....

-I want dd to have the best experience returning to school

-I want dd to concentrate without distractions having friend in same class may bring

--to much togetherness is not a good thing....(not really putting that in letter)

What other points should I cover to make this short but to the point and be considered or would this be enough or not say anything and hope they won't be in the same class anyways?

Is this a private or public school?  Do they rotate classes?  How flexible and open is the school to parent requests?  How many other classes are available at her grade level?  These may all be factors in how I would attempt to tackle this issue and how I would word a letter written....

It is a ps.  Parent requests I've only heard both cooperative and not so cooperative for various reasons.  I don't think they change classes and I think there are 5 grade level.

Can you call the school and ask them whether they have a procedure or preferred method for doing this?

I would try to put it as they have a dynamic going on outside of school that would be best kept out of the classroom for the benefit of them, their classmates, and their teachers.  Or something like that.

When my kids were in public school the principal was receptive to separation requests.

Simply state your reasons why your child should not be placed in the same classroom as y.  Make the reasons about your childs success without saying anything negative about the other child.

Agree with all the above.  

Something more that I thought of based on previous experience working with school administrations:  Do they know you as a person?  Have you established a rapor with anyone there?  Have you had kids at the school before?  If so, talk to people you already know, get a feel for how they think this would be most productively handled.

If not, and if they have no clue who you are and your child has not attended there in the past, they may see you as being rather demanding and a whiner so you need to be careful how you proceed.  You don't want their first impression to be that you are one of those helicopter parents that is hard to please.  Of course, they may not react that way at all, either.  But you will only have one chance to make a good first impression and get them to want to work with you.  There may be future issues where you need the administration on your side and you don't want them thinking you are a difficult and hard to please parent.  Can you talk to someone in person, get to know someone in administration first, before expressing your concerns and making your request?

Mainly, keep the letter friendly, positive, succinct and clearly laid out.  Be complimentary of the school, don't sound demanding, just concerned and I agree with others, don't say anything negative about the other child, just express your concern regarding your own daughter's possible difficulties and your desire for her and her classmates and her teacher to have a really successful year.  

You might start with a bullet-ted list of what you are hoping to accomplish with this letter and all the things you think you might want to include.  Then turn that into an outline and chuck out anything that seems irrelevant or whiny.  Then try writing a first draft of the letter and read it to someone else whose judgement you trust.  Then do a final draft.  Seems like a lot of work, I know.  But that letter may go into a permanent file at the school.  You need it to represent you and your child in a good light and to accomplish what you hope it will accomplish.