Menu

Singapore discontinuing higher maths

Coffeemama

I'm not sure if anyone has posted about this yet (didn't show up in a search) but I just found out that Singapore Math has recently decided to stop selling math books past the 8th grade level. There is a note (in red) on their site that states which programs are being discontinued and not being replaced. My DD13 will be using the CC DM8A &8B this year and since I like to plan ahead I inquired as to which book I should use next due to the announcement on the site. Here is Singapore's response:

Material from Singapore does not align very well at all with US math requirements. The system is quite different there; they do not even haf "high school" but rather two more years only, then take exams, then go to junior college. Some students take two math classes these two years. We will not be selling material after 8th grade for now. If you want to continue with material from Singapore, and be able to obtain the solutions, you will have to buy them now. Please seehttp://www.singaporemath.com/FAQ_Secondary_Math_s/16.htm for more information about the later levels.

Jenny
Curriculum Advisor
Singapore Math Inc.®

This information has to be new in the past few months, since I know it wasn't on the site when I made my big math purchase back in May.  Based on the scope and sequence info, it looks like all of the Algebra material will be covered by the end of 8B, so I'll be able to move my DD into a traditional geometry course for 9th grade. It will probably begin with a lot of review though since Singapore was integrated math.

I hope this information is helpful and doesn't send anyone into a crisis, (like it did to me).

Can you buy all the books now, if you want to use them?

I could, but since this is my oldest and I have two more coming, I don't feel comfortable using something that will be discontinued where I'll be unable to purchase supplementals if needed.

At least I have a warning and a spot to make a (fairly) clean break.

There was discussion in a thread on the Accelerated Learners subforum that this stems from a dispute between Star Publishing and Singaporemath.com. DM 3 & 4 may continue to be available through RR and CBD but that's still up in the air.

Sgbox.com carries the Singapore New Syllabus Mathematics for 9th and 10th grade and the New Syllabus Additional Mathematics book. So that might be an option for finishing up Singapore after DMCC 8.

:001_unsure: So...what now? I was planning to use Singapore from 7th grade to the end but I can't to buy everything now!!!

I hear you.

We were really happy using 7A & 7B this year and will use 8A & 8B starting in the fall. Since it seems as though many people on here use different books for Alg 1, Geometry, and Alg 2, I'm glad that we had the continuity of Singapore for as long as we did. Those 4 Singapore books cover pre-alg, Algebra 1, some geometry, and some other math topics.

In my opinion it is still a great choice for Junior High, leaving a student in a strong position for entering 9th grade Geometry. I plan to reuse these textbooks for my next two children. I just hope we have as much success with new Geometry and Algebra 2 programs. I'll likely outsource any math above that.