Menu

If your kids like reptiles (or if you're scared of them)

Dmmetler

Petco is doing their national Reptile Rally today, so most Petco stores will have local reptile groups and reptile rescues there this afternoon with their animals. If your kids want to get a chance to meet a burmese python or a boa constrictor outside of a zoo setting, this is a great opportunity to do so without the admissions charges most expos have. Conversely, if you're scared of snakes, it's a good day to NOT swing by and pick up dog food.

Here, the official hours are 1:00-3:00, but I'd check the website for your local store just to be sure.

I'm mad at you now Dmmetler!   :lol:  Dd and I went to the Reptile Rally yesterday because of this thread.  Or I should say we tried to go to Reptile Rally.  We got to Petco and there was nothing going on at all in the reptile area.  So I asked, and was told that the event people just didn't show.  But the manager came and got many of the reptiles out to show us.  Dd held an anole lizard and also a ball python.  Anyway, now she wants a snake!  I am being inundated with Pinterest  snake pictures!  

Ball pythons are sweet and will just hang out with you (my DD wore hers around her neck through yesterday's rally). They can be difficult to get to feed and are prone to feeding strikes, though, so make sure you get a reliable feeder. Corn snakes are more active than balls, but are easier to care for and tend to feed reliably without trouble. We have one of each ;).

We had a Burmese python, DD's ball python, a bearded dragon, a savannah monitor, and a red-tail boa and a king snake. They also double booked the store, so we had both the herp folks and a cat adoption.

Yeah, ours had a cat/dog adoption group there too.  They had the cutest kitties. . .   They showed up and were well organized.  I wonder what happened to the reptile people?  Maybe they got eaten by one of their snakes!  (I'm not afraid of pet snakes and handled it a bit but they don't seem very. . . cuddly.  That and I've seen too many cats kill snakes to think that one would do well in our house with our resident cat.)