Menu

Help me find this book, please?

MelanieM

Once again I'm trying to remember an intriguing book that was recommended here on the forums years back. This is an adult history book that contains interesting facts about everyday life. I am not sure what time period it covered... It may have spanned a large scope of history, or it may be focused on a specific period. I remember being especially interested in an example that referenced Victorian England. Any suggestions?

Do you think it may be similar to those books that take place in one city over a Long period of time, telling historical fiction stories before moving on to a new time period?

I read one years ago that was awesome but can't find the name at the moment. Hopefully someone else will chime in!

Ok, I just had a memory of something about sleep habits, and how people would go to bed at sundown, then wake in the middle of the night, basically splitting their sleep into two segments. It's possible I'm mixing two books here, but I'm thinking this is all the same book... sound familiar to anyone?

Is it this book?

http://www.amazon.com/At-Days-Close-Night-Times/dp/0393329011

I remember the threads that mentioned first sleep and second sleep, but I searched and didn't see any books recommended in the threads I found. There was one article that was linked a few times, and the article was based on this author's work.

There was also one I took out of the library recently, but I never got to read it and I couldn't renew it. Let me see if I can find it again...

ETA: My book was this one. Now I want to check it out again!

http://www.amazon.com/Inside-Victorian-Home-Portrait-Domestic/dp/0393052095/ref=pd_sim_b_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=0HQ7VQ0KC5QA16MM1EZ8

• 1 month later...