Menu

WWYD? Possible identity theft?

I lost my cell phone about a week ago. I waited a week to do anything because I was sure mine would turn up, but finally went to Verizon and got a replacement phone. When I checked the voice mail I had a few messages of my own, but I had roughly a dozen messages from American Express asking me to call because my account needs IMMEDIATE ATTENTION! :eek: I've never had an AmEx account. When I called them, they wouldn't give me any information about the account they're referring to, because I didn't have the account number. When I told them I never had an account, they said that I would still receive the (daily) collection calls because the phone number is listed on the account.

I checked my credit report online, and didn't find any unusual activity in my name.

Today, I just received another call, but from Washington Mutual. Told them that they had the wrong number, and wrote down the name of the person they're asking for. I've never heard of the person, but now I'm becoming increasingly concerned. I could change my cell phone #, and probably end the collection-type calls, but is there something else I'm supposed to do?

Thanks,

Julie

three years with my identity "possibly" being in trouble. One was when my bank was hacked into a year ago and the other when another well known retailer sent me a letter my identity (credit info) had been hacked. I did contact the credit bureaus and had "hold" on my accounts..something like 6 months no new credit could be issued without notifying me. I do use the free credit checking and check one of the bureaus every 4 months, then the next four months the other. So far nothing has happened. It was a coincidence during this time I started receiving collection calls from several agencies and one bank that there was a problem with my credit...well it was NOT my credit, it was a crook with same name as me who lives 2 blocks from me...how unfortunate is that. I have a common name..practically Joe Smith common, so it was assumed I was her, which i wasn't. Finally she landed in jail and the calls stopped. :eek: These events with this woman had nothing to do with my credit supposedly being "hacked" but being as it all happened together I was panicky.

I understand your nervouseness, but if you contact the Credit Bureaus' and notify of a problem, you watch your accounts, you change your cell number you really should be fine. It is just one more hassle I know. I imagine you are fine, I would give American Express another call and see if you can make sure there are no accounts tied to your social security number and if nothing, you should be just fine. :o

My dh has had someone use his information to open and run up HUGE bills at Bell South *twice* in Pensacola, where neither of us has ever been. I've contacted the police in Pensacola, but they can't do anything about it because they claim that information like this is exchanged in drug houses where no-one is actually a resident. They could go to the address where the account was set up, but they would never be able to find the person who actually did it. We had to go through the fraud department at Bell South to give proof (fill out a bunch of paperwork and send in some other documents) that we hadn't been residing in Pensacola, nor acquiring phone service there.

I'd contact Verizon, American Express, and Washington Mutual and speak with their fraud departments to let them know of the situation, change my phone number, and hope that the calls stop.

I wouldn't count on it, though. We have been getting calls for a person who was the previous renter of a house we rented for four years before moving here last summer. We've never met her, she never had our same phone number, and she certainly has nothing to do with our current home (that we bought) or our current phone number (in a different town altogether)! Our only association with her is that she rented a house *five years ago* that we rented after her. :rolleyes:

DH had this happen recently. I got a collection notice for a cell bill in California--neither of us has stepped foot in California for over 30 years! Contact the credit bureaus immediately and file a fraud report. Put a hold on your credit. Order reports and look them over carefully, then dispute anything that's not yours.

And, according to the Fair Debt Collection Act, if you inform a caller that the debt is not yours and you do not want them to call you, they legally cannot call you anymore. Google the Fair Debt Collection Act and read it carefully. Then mention it when you receive a call....that usually shuts them down right away.

But you must be sure these accounts are not on your record...don't hesitate, go to the credit bureau sites and submit a dispute right away.

If your not going to make a large credit purchase in the next month or two, you might want to freeze your credit bureau accounts. You can do this on-line with Experian, Trans-Union, & Equifax. I had to do this a year or two ago when someone hacked into UT's database and had unauthorized access to student information (current & alumni). It was easy to do, free, and eased my mind from wondering about the what-ifs.