Menu

Has anyone gone from TOG Y3to Y1 Redesign instead of Y4?

M&M

I just don't think I can do another classic TOG year. I have ordered Y1 and I feel like the sun is shining!

We have taken 6 years to get this far in history and I don't think my younger children are ready for the content of Y4. I was thinking of having dd read SOTW 4 this summer and then jumping back to Ancients.

What say you ladies and gentlemen?

I just don't think I can do another classic TOG year. I have ordered Y1 and I feel like the sun is shining!

We have taken 6 years to get this far in history and I don't think my younger children are ready for the content of Y4. I was thinking of having dd read SOTW 4 this summer and then jumping back to Ancients.

Go for it! The only reason why I have year 4 is because it was given to me. Even then I plan to condense it down to 6 months at the most.

Heather

Did you do any modern history at all?

I ask because a seasoned TOG user I talked to told me her concern with me skipping Y4 is that I would be teaching it for the first time to a highschooler. Although she may be right, I don't care to do another classic year. What do you think?

but not for the very same reasons she gave (though her reasons are very good). I think it's important for children to understand 20th century history. A good modern history foundation will allow them to comprehend current events easily, and they'll be able to take an interest in the happenings of the not-too-distant past.

I studied American History up to 1900 for years when I was in school, but I had very little comprehension of modern history (except what I lived through, but even then I couldn't put it in context).

I've used TOG Year 4, and I didn't find it difficult to use at all (though possibly that's because I was teaching a third-grader, LOL, and not a dialectic or rhetoric student!).

Did you do any modern history at all?

Yes, I do teach Modern History, especially as it comes up in real life. For example, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, or after we watched the Sound of Music for the first time. My kids were younger on the first rotation. They will both still get Modern history two times. That's good enough for me.

I think this would work. I would much rather see a mom who is enjoying the materials she's using than one who is getting burned out because the Classic version just isn't as easy to use. I'm not sure whether I'll start this fall or in 2009, but I just purchased TOG Redesign Yr. 1, and based on samples (I haven't received my package yet) I'm sure I will be much happier than I was when I tried Classic Yr. 2 when it first came out.

I did do a kind of "squashed" breeze through 20th century when I was at the end of our first rotation. I had taken longer than 4 years to get through and I had a goal to have my dd do a more thorough 20th century later in high school. I didn't skip 20th century for her but I compressed it into about 2-3 months of reading the spine and related dialectic level literature but not doing any written assignments.

I did do a kind of "squashed" breeze through 20th century when I was at the end of our first rotation. I had taken longer than 4 years to get through and I had a goal to have my dd do a more thorough 20th century later in high school. I didn't skip 20th century for her but I compressed it into about 2-3 months of reading the spine and related dialectic level literature but not doing any written assignments.

Did you use TOG Y4 for your condensed 20th century? If not what spine did you use?

I'm thinking that we might delay starting Y1 until next January and then I could have time with my oldest two in the 20th century while the younger ones get into the groove of a new school year.

You all are helping me think this out.

I am on week 33 of year 3. I plan on having the kiddos listen to the audio of SOTW 4 and adding some books in from the TQ guide III (American History 1865-2000). I figure we will do this over the summer, no pressure and then jump into Year 1 re-designed for September. I do have year 4 and its a bit "heavy" for the ages of my kiddos so I don't feel too bad skipping it in order to jump into the redesigned cycle:o