Menu

Independent Precalculus suggestions

I need a self-teaching precalculus class for my grade 11 (junior year) daughter. She is medium-strong in math but really hit some walls in Alg. 2. I am too busy to help her and don't really want to. She is likely liberal arts-headed for college, but I don't want her to finish pre-calc at least.

Since I am not concerned about math proficiency nor rigor, can anyone comment on the self-teaching aspect of Teaching Textbooks. (Just a note, I am well aware of TT's strengths/weaknesses. I am not worried about it preparing her adequately for a possible calculus.)

(When an older daughter did it, she was using the problem-solving teaching video to "DO" the homework (cheating); so it ended up being a big problem.)

That really "killed" the wonderfulness of the TT program. I plan to keep better tabs on it the CD/answer keys.

I would like to keep it cheaper of course. But up to $300ish? Anything online for that realm of pricing? (I do not want to create anything from scratch? I would like to be as uninvolved as possible.)

Has anyone used TT PreCalc successfully? 

lisaj

If she struggled with Algebra 2 then I say TT's Pre-Calc would be a viable option-- it has quite a bit of Algebra 2 in it.  Is there a way to grade her homework without looking on the solutions CD?-- if so use that and keep the solutions CD for emergencies.  If she misses a problem type (conceptual not careless) then have her research/watch a similar lesson on Khan Academy, retry the problem THEN watch the TT CD solutions.

She could follow this up with a Statistics or some sort of business math class (or dual enrollment if that is an option) her Sr year.

If community college is an option, she would probably begin with Intermediate Algebra or College Algebra, but a placement test would determine that.  Depending on the tuition for dual enrolled students, it might be a good option with a live teacher, tutoring help available, and no involvement on your part (other than possibly driving).

Another option is an online class with Jann in TX.  :001_smile: