Menu

Read-alouds for an avid reader

Tracy

I have spent the last 3 years trying to get dd9 to read something other than American Girl books.  And in the last 6 months, her reading has completely taken off.  The day after we went to the library last week, she had already finished one 500-page book.   :thumbup1:

I had planned on having her do more of her own reading for history and literature next year, so it looks like that will be doable.  But this child loves to be read to more than anything else in life.  It is what makes her feel connected to me and loved.  So it needs to remain a tradition and part of our daily (or at least weekly) routine.  

But now that her reading has taken off so, I am having trouble finding books to read to her.  I still have ongoing read-alouds for the two kids together, but I still want books that are just for her.  I would like to continue to read her things that she might not read on her own.  But I am not sure how to narrow that down.  My own reading background is pretty sparse.  The books I am finding seem to be better for her to read on her own.  

Surely I am not the only one that has been in this circumstance, so I thought I would pick your brains.  How did you go about choosing read-alouds for your already avid readers?  Lists of books would be great, but I would also appreciate your philosophies, as well.

I love read alouds and plan to continue well into the teen years. I pick out books that DS could read, but for some reason might not be drawn too for some small detail--the font size or tight spacing, looks too lengthy, not super drawn to the subject matter, etc. I pick books that I know he'd love if only he'd give them a try. I also pick books that I'm very interested in--something I'd want to read myself, without being forced. I also try to pick books that will stretch his vocabulary, or his dialect tolerance. I haven't run out of books yet and don't think I will. Any classic book list for children is a great place to start.

So how do you use this to choose books?  It looks a guide to teaching literature.  

Journeys Through Bookland is a set of 10 volumes if you get the old edition (which I think people prefer--I have 1922).  There is a newer edition of 8 volumes which had parts edited.

The 10th volume is for the parent about the value of reading to your children, how to discuss literature, specific sections to read for various situations, and much other helpful advice.  I am enjoying reading that volume, and my husband got a lot out of the "Father and Son" chapter.  

The other nine volumes are a collection of literature to read aloud or for the children to read independently--poetry, short stories, and longer pieces.  The first volume is more basic, and the difficulty gradually increases in subsequent volumes.  I started reading the first volume aloud to my kids, and it has been delightful.

I don't have much experience with this set, but 8filltheheart or others who know it better would be more helpful in answering questions.

Well if she likes the AG books, does she like history?  I agree, we used the SL lists for read alouds.  She's at a level where you can just start moving up through the american history stuff (Witch of Blackbird Pond, Sign of the Beaver, Secret of the Andes, etc.).  She's also at a nice age to branch out into teen stuff that you want to discuss.  I was about that age when our teacher read aloud A Wrinkle in Time and it changed my life.  (It was the first book that let me know there was someone like me!)  Have you tried the Honey for a Child's Heart lists?

I'm trying to remember what we read aloud then, but that was the year I got pregnant, ack.  I gave up and bought things on audiobook.  :D

Have you read her any Alcott?  http://www.amazon.com/Jack-Jill-Louisa-May-Alcott-ebook/dp/B0084AZYQ8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404735536&sr=8-1&keywords=jack+and+jill+alcott   The Oz books would be fun to read aloud together.  Anything Merlin/King Arthur.  Have you done the Coville Shakespeare picture books?  

She might enjoy this book of opera retellings, and then you could search for them on youtube to watch together.  http://www.amazon.com/At-Opera-Ann-Fiery/dp/0811827747/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1404735737&sr=8-2&keywords=opera+fiery

Also look for Stories of Favorite Operas by Bulla (yes, Clyde Bulla!) and his Gilbert & Sullivan book.  Again, you could read the stories together and watch or listen to the audios.  Fun stuff!  I'm saying don't think too in the box on what a read aloud has to be.  You could read the NYT editorials together and discuss.  You could get the God's World News for high school and read aloud together and discuss.  What she's wanting is to interact with you.

Have you read Little Pilgrim's Progress   by Helen Taylor?  It's excellent, and the cs uses it for an entire year in 4th.  You could totally max it out with maps and projects and things.  Or go for a more modern translation of the full adult version with the guide from AIG...  

My line for read alouds was to look for things she wouldn't soon read for herself.  Your dd is now at a level where that's trickier, but you can take it that other direction of not so much reading level but thought process or language.  Go crazy and get a book of russian short stories or Poe.  I think we read some Shirley Jackson type stuff (horror) one year.  It was all short stories and they were SUPER creepy.  (The Monkey's Paw...)  I think this might be the book we used.  http://www.amazon.com/Lottery-Stories-Haunting-Always-Castle/dp/B000GDOXLS/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1404736129&sr=8-6&keywords=the+lottery+and+other+stories+shirley+jackson

Well if she likes the AG books, does she like history?  I agree, we used the SL lists for read alouds.  She's at a level where you can just start moving up through the american history stuff (Witch of Blackbird Pond, Sign of the Beaver, Secret of the Andes, etc.).  She's also at a nice age to branch out into teen stuff that you want to discuss.  I was about that age when our teacher read aloud A Wrinkle in Time and it changed my life.  (It was the first book that let me know there was someone like me!)  Have you tried the Honey for a Child's Heart lists?

I'm trying to remember what we read aloud then, but that was the year I got pregnant, ack.  I gave up and bought things on audiobook.   :D

Have you read her any Alcott?  http://www.amazon.com/Jack-Jill-Louisa-May-Alcott-ebook/dp/B0084AZYQ8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404735536&sr=8-1&keywords=jack+and+jill+alcott   The Oz books would be fun to read aloud together.  Anything Merlin/King Arthur.  Have you done the Coville Shakespeare picture books?  

She might enjoy this book of opera retellings, and then you could search for them on youtube to watch together.  http://www.amazon.com/At-Opera-Ann-Fiery/dp/0811827747/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1404735737&sr=8-2&keywords=opera+fiery

Also look for Stories of Favorite Operas by Bulla (yes, Clyde Bulla!) and his Gilbert & Sullivan book.  Again, you could read the stories together and watch or listen to the audios.  Fun stuff!  I'm saying don't think too in the box on what a read aloud has to be.  You could read the NYT editorials together and discuss.  You could get the God's World News for high school and read aloud together and discuss.  What she's wanting is to interact with you.

Have you read Little Pilgrim's Progress   by Helen Taylor?  It's excellent, and the cs uses it for an entire year in 4th.  You could totally max it out with maps and projects and things.  Or go for a more modern translation of the full adult version with the guide from AIG...  

My line for read alouds was to look for things she wouldn't soon read for herself.  Your dd is now at a level where that's trickier, but you can take it that other direction of not so much reading level but thought process or language.  Go crazy and get a book of russian short stories or Poe.  I think we read some Shirley Jackson type stuff (horror) one year.  It was all short stories and they were SUPER creepy.  (The Monkey's Paw...)  I think this might be the book we used.  http://www.amazon.com/Lottery-Stories-Haunting-Always-Castle/dp/B000GDOXLS/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1404736129&sr=8-6&keywords=the+lottery+and+other+stories+shirley+jackson

Yes, she loves, loves, loves history.  I read the lit books from TOG from the UG level to her last year (Red Scarf Girl, Breadwinner, House of Sixty Fathers, and the like), and she really loved them.  I realized that she will be reading these types of books on her own next year.  :(

I do have a number of book lists, including Honey for a Child's Heart.  I think she would like Alcott, a great suggestion.  And I do have an anthology with short stories from different countries.  I should get that out, too.  And I will have to check out the Shakespeare suggestion.  It kind of scares this mathy mama.    :scared:

I had not heard of God's World News.  That looks interesting.  But I am not sure it will work for this LDS family.  

We listened to A Wrinkle in Time on audio, and she liked it, but I really hated it.  Perhaps it was all the weird voices.   :tongue_smilie:

Thank you so much for your awesome suggestions.  I will be hunting some books down now.

GWN is pretty generic, so I would think you'd be fine.  Have you looked into TQ?  We used the TQ guides and many of my dd's favs came from there.  :)

The Coville versions are picture books and very beautiful.  Also VP sells the Oxford comic versions (yes, you read that right!) that she might enjoy.  After you read some versions together, then look for the Ambrose versions to watch.  You can start with comedies like Merchant of Venice.  

Well I guess different strokes on the L'Engle.  Has she read any COFAs?  (Childhood of Famous Americans series)  Also there's the Little Maid series...

GWN is pretty generic, so I would think you'd be fine.  Have you looked into TQ?  We used the TQ guides and many of my dd's favs came from there.   :)

The Coville versions are picture books and very beautiful.  Also VP sells the Oxford comic versions (yes, you read that right!) that she might enjoy.  After you read some versions together, then look for the Ambrose versions to watch.  You can start with comedies like Merchant of Venice.  

Well I guess different strokes on the L'Engle.  Has she read any COFAs?  (Childhood of Famous Americans series)  Also there's the Little Maid series...

Thank you!  More to check out . . .  :auto: