Menu

Bju math 5

mom2vikha

Hi Ladies,

Any reviews on BJU math 5 DVD program? We are switching from MM4. I want something as challenging as MM and hand holding as well. We will continue process skills, primary math challenge and beast on the side and CWP.

Else is it too much? Will just BJU and CWP suffice? Please help me choose

I haven't ever used BJU's math dvds because I have a math degree. BJU math is very good, but I'm not sure what you mean by rigorous. Do you mean far above grade level? That can depend on which standards you are looking at for grade level.  I used BJU math 2nd grade through 5th grade, and I believe it is one of the best math programs out there.  

• 4 weeks later...

My dd just used BJU 5 online for the past year.  I thought it would free me up (she had done BJU 1 & 2 which I taught, then CLE 3 & 4) but it did not really help me at all as far as time.  I had to sit with her every day to keep her on task.  The teaching is very good and very thorough but very S-L-O-W if you have a child who gets concepts pretty quickly.  It was mind numbing for her at times, so I had to sit there to make sure she was listening!  Some days I actually just taught it myself.  The only reason I didn't do so every day is because I have a busy 3 year old, so it was nice to have someone else teaching so I could get up to attend to her.  Keep in mind that they have to teach to the slowest student, so every concept is explained in excruciating detail.  The video teaching every day is 30 minutes, and the teacher is giving them problems to work during the teaching, so the total video time takes at least 45 minutes, often an hour.  THEN they are supposed to do another whole worksheet.  I couldn't devote that much time to math (and my dd was about to go insane, because though she is good at math, she doesn't like it), so I ended up just giving her a few problems to do after the video time since I had been sitting there next to her and could see whether she was getting the concepts or not.  It is probably not as rigorous as Singapore or MM, but it is a solid traditional math program.   

I'm undecided if I will use BJU 6 next year and teach it myself or go back to CLE.  I definitely won't use the online BJU math again.  However, she did also use BJU Science 5 online and that was very good and I would recommend it.