Menu

Things my quirky daughters taught me. . .

Pegasus

Things my quirky daughters taught me:

1. Cultural norms are not the same thing as laws, rules, or ethics. It is ok to break them, really.
  2. Wasting energy on “what other people may think†was MY hang-up and I needed to get over it. So, if one daughter wore every stitch of her clothing inside out for years and the other daughter wore her super soft fleece Mickey Mouse pajama pants out in public, it was ok. They were both clean and modestly covered.
  3. Accept and even embrace your oddities. We joke, within the family, about being weird, odd, quirky, and even warped.  We laugh at ourselves and attempt to be nonchalant if someone else points out how we do not fit in (DDs are MUCH better at this than I am but I’m learning). I lost count of the number of people who told DD that her dress was inside out when she was in that phase of her life. DD would just state “I know.†I had to learn to quit trying to explain beyond that simple answer (see # 3).

And the big one. . .

1. Socks really are more comfortable worn inside-out.

I'd love to hear additional lessons our non-conventional children have to teach!

Princess dresses, tiaras, new lab coats, magnifying glasses, and other clothing items often seen on Halloween are appropriate attire for daily outings to places like grocery stores and other errands.

There is no real contradiction to being dressed in poofy frilly dresses and wanting to dissect the newest dead animal 'specimen' that was found in the backyard. One may or may not deign to don an apron.

It's okay for dd to be playing with dolls and taking them out in public at ten. Even when people stare and roll their eyes. Same goes with ds and his teddy at eight.

It's is AWESOME when a stuffed buffalo accompanies an almost-twelve year old everywhere she goes.   Especially since said buffalo is highly creative and stars in videos of his exploits.  Which is really nice when mama is not on the trip.  : )

It is less than awesome when the stuffed buffalo HIDES during a sleepover and mama has to go and retrieve him from the friend's house at 9 o'clock at night.  Thank goodness for understanding friend-parents!

That my 17yo looks sweet as she flies off to her uni prac with her suitcase, pillow and 17yo teddy!

ETA: I think my girls are not extremely unconventional, but they've taught me very similar lessons to your kids.  I sometimes wonder how they are so wise!  I feel I'm only learning at 41 what they instinctively know at 17, 20 & 21 yo.  

Lol! My dd8 recently told me that she doesn't understand why anyone would NOT wear their underwear inside out.

They have taught me that my needs are not their needs. My fears should not oppress them. You would think I should know both of these things but I am a much slower learner than either of them.