Menu

need help choosing books

I just got Lial's Algebra 1 (8th edition), the Digital Video Tutor cds and the Student Solutions manual, all for under $30. That price included shipping!! I got the text from Amazon and teh other components from Textbooks. com, all in excellent shape. The cds were unused - pkg still sealed!!

My son liked how it looked and did not find it intimidating, but you can look at some of the pages here - http://www.pearsonhighered.com/showtell/lial_0321557123/lial_0321557123.html

Life of Fred pre-algebra is great for the right student. I'd look at the samples with your child; there are many online.

Saxon would be my other choice (for the more traditional textbook).

At $50 budget max, those are your best choices.

Either paired with Khan Academy and a MUS worksheet (printable free from website) for additional support when needed should be adequate.

What's the difference between pre-algebra and beginning algebra in LoF?

What math has your daughter done previously?

Pre-Algebra generally consists of the four basics (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division), decimals, fractions, percents and sometimes various odds and ends including probability, sets, etc.  In order to thrive in Algebra, the underlined should be pretty solid.

Regards,

Kareni