Menu

Gift for retirement home door?

Spryte

In-laws are making a major move to a new retirement home.  They will be in a small apartment, and I'd like to find something - some type door ornament - for their front door.  I'd like to ship it ahead of time, so it's there waiting when they arrive.  

Any good ideas?  I thought of a dried flower wreath, but there must be other ideas?  Help me brainstorm?

Thanks, these are good ideas.  I'm hoping for something for the door - because MIL is a minimalist, though a plant is an excellent idea, and plants are always welcome.

I hadn't thought of a kick plate!  I'll check with the home to see if that's appropriate.  

In their current retirement home, residents often have door decorations, so I was thinking of something along those lines.  A dried flower arrangement crossed my mind, but I'm not sure if it would be irritating to other residents if they have allergies?  

Seaside beat me to it...my in-laws were in an assisted living place and each apartment had seasonal decorations. Most also had a small shelf in the common hallway near the door to hold plants, Virgin Mary statues, etc.

Maybe, too, a small wipe off board and attached pen so notes could be left "see you at bingo" etc.?

Oooh, the wreath or welcome sign with seasonal attachments that could be switched out would be perfect.  If I could personalize it, and have their names on it somehow, that would really be great.

Now to ask for the impossible... Anyone have a link?  :)

Love the whiteboard idea, too!

What about a 'Welcome' sign?  or a sign with their names?

Regards,

Kareni

This is the first thing that came to my mind, too.  If I had time, I'd try to get a little hand-painted sign...something with their name and a personalized embellishment (e.g., painted with your mom's favorite flower, birds if they like to bird watch, a lighthouse or beach scene--whatever their "thing" is).