Menu

How Reformed is God's Great Covenant, specifically predestination?

I am not seeking to start a large theological debate between Reformed/non-Reformed.  There are plenty of those threads here.   I have been heavily looking at God's Great Covenant from Classical Academic Press.  I understand covenant theology is the framework for which the material is presented and appeals to me.  I know they state they come from a Reformed perspective and follow the Westminster Confession of Faith.  However, I am particularly concerned about predestination, irresistible grace and the key points of TULIP.  Is this heavily presented in this curriculum?  Given that this is a Bible curriculum, I want to ensure that this will meet my needs well.  For those who have used it, what have you encountered?  Do you think a non-Reformed believer could use it well as long as they were comfortable with covenant theology?  I am looking specifically at the New Testament, but hope to do all four books eventually.

P.S.  Does anyone know when the 4th book is due?

We've done the first book, and are a little over half way through the second. We go very very slowly. I don't think it (predestination) has come up. What I find to be most Reformed so far is the idea of God's sovereignty over people and events. Although we are Reformed, and this being our belief system, I am probably not as sensitive as one who does not believe that way.

We've done the first book, and are a little over half way through the second. We go very very slowly. I don't think it (predestination) has come up. What I find to be most Reformed so far is the idea of God's sovereignty over people and events.

This.  I have been through all three current books (though we did not do the workbooks, just read from the TE).  I have not noticed a mention of predestination, but I agree that God's sovereignty has come up.  I'm not reformed, but I'm comfortable with the sovereignty point of view, so it hasn't been an issue.  I really liked the commentary, particularly in the NT book, and have been looking forward to the Acts book.

This.  I have been through all three current books (though we did not do the workbooks, just read from the TE).  I have not noticed a mention of predestination, but I agree that God's sovereignty has come up.  I'm not reformed, but I'm comfortable with the sovereignty point of view, so it hasn't been an issue.  I really liked the commentary, particularly in the NT book, and have been looking forward to the Acts book.

What a good idea. I've wanted to do these books but have been hesitant to add another writing subject to my already easily exhausted and phobic writer and I didn't want her to start dreading Bible studies because of it. I love the idea of just reading the book. THANKS!!

Thank you all for your feedback.  I am definitely comfortable with the sovereignty of God.  I have emailed the publisher, specifically, about this question and am awaiting a response.  The program looks like everything I want in a Bible program, and I am really excited to go through it.  But given the importance of the subject, I wanted to make sure I had a heads up on things.

Hello all,

I heard back from the author, and she was so kind about my concerns.  While the curriculum is from a Reformed perspective, the words "predestination" or "election" do not appear in the student book.  There may be a phrase referring to "His people" or God choosing His people, and there would be additional notes on this in the teacher's manual, but for me, I think that is very easy to work around.  I will just make sure I glance over each lesson ahead of time to make sure I have a heads up on anything.  

I am very excited about this curriculum.  Classical Academic Press' curriculum as a whole seems very impressive to me, and I am excited to start their writing and spanish curriculum as well.  Hoping for a great year!