Menu

Logic of English users: Talk to me!

RebeccaKes

I'm hearing the siren call of shiny new curriculum...
Here's what I'm working with:
7yo ds: oldest, boy, reluctant to lessons, good reader (mid-3rd grade?). Starting 2nd grade.
5.5yo dd: let's just say she's decided against homeschool and will teach herself, thank-you-very-much.
I want to follow Spalding, and already have used the following: OPGTR, AAS 1, Progressive Phonics,ETC, Plaid, k12reader.com, Reading Eggs, Reading Lessons Through Literature... and just bought a used copy of McRuffy K.
I am starry-eyed over LoE, but having trouble committing since I already have so much to work with. I looked at the placement advice on the site, but it's not clear to me where I would start my son. Foundations B? Essentials? How long should each level typically take?
I really want to integrate LA, and to teach the same system for each kid, even if at different levels.
I always talk myself out of buying new curriculum by saying I'll piece it together from what I already own, but honestly just the idea of all that organizing is making me tired. My plan was/is to use the practice words from OPGTR, phonogram cards from AAS/RLTL, and make spelling notebooks, starting with "letter stories" we made up together last year. Make copywork sheets free online each week... Readers from PP?

Any and all input is appreciated!

ETA:

DS enjoys OPGTR, and won't tolerate workbooks. AAS was good but he dreaded it, even the tiles (which surprised me).

DD is enticed by fun characters and games. When I showed her the McRuffy, she was suddenly interested in learning to read (she is currently able to blend CVC words, Bob books, and the beginner PP books, which she likes).

I have been working on D'Nealian with both of them, but haven't used anything formal for instruction. We could use something more directed and intentional. I like what I saw of the LoE writing materials.

I really just feel I need to be more organized about phonics instruction. My neuroses may be the deciding factor, as I will NEVER stop doubting my ability to cover all our bases and provide complete instruction...

Hi. Well I LOVE big puffy heart LOE. That being said.

For 7yo ds: you will definitely need Essentials if he is reading at a 3rd grade level. You did not say if he is already has spelling rules, phonograms down pat. If he does not then essentials will be good. If he does, the I personally would skip Essentials and do the Ayres list. (WRTR ) for spelling. Maybe get the games book and cards from LOE to make it less "lesson" like. If you need the step by step handholding of dictating /marking words then I would also get Essentials.

For your dd: foundations is definitely a "Team effort". There are SOME worksheets that are independent and some Copywork in level C and D but the rest will involve you heavily. (Though I don't know of many reading programs that are "independent".

As far as how long levels will take: it will be totally dependent on your child.

For essentials: if you are planning on the doing the whole program (grammar, etc.). I would personally take a week to do 1 lesson. There are 40 lessons. - So a year. You then could go back through the book using the advanced spelling lists she has posted on her website.

Foundations is trickier since it is for younger kids who may stall and leap forward and lessons throughout the levels get longer. So it depends on if you are a lesson a day person or a certain amount of time a day person. I would plan on levels A-D to take two years.

Each level has 40 lessons and 8 reviews.

Level A - the first 20 lessons (phonemic awareness, phonograms & handwriting) should take about 15 - 20 minutes. So you could do 1 lesson a day. My Pre-k is doing a lesson in 2 days. The second 20 lessons will add reading (&spelling words). So lessons will then be about 30 minutes long. I plan on my Pre-k to take three days to do a lesson. I would say 10-20 weeks (if not accelerating due to previous knowledge)

Level B adds in spelling rules, review & practice and longer readings. So maybe 40 min long lessons. - 10 - 20 weeks

Level C adds in Copywork, dictation & reading comprehension. Approx 1 hour lessons. 15-20 weeks.

Level D adds in grammar and vocabulary, more spelling words, "real books", and simple writing assignments. 1 1/2 - 2 hours. (20-40 weeks).

My 1st ds really flew through LOE and it was about 1/2 way through C when I came to the realization that I had only wanted to spend 15-20 minutes a day and we were now spending 45 minutes to an hour a day (broken up). So we started dividing up the lessons. It took us a year and two months (which includes time off for early pregnancy & summer break) to go through A-C. We are now doing D at one lessons a week. I do not plan that kind of pace with my 2nd.

LOE is very thorough, easy to implement and fun (at least in this house).

I don't know anything about essentials, but I want to marry LOE Foundations. I adore it. I'm using it with my just turned 4 year old & my 5.5 year old. They love it & are learning in leaps & bounds. Even my 18 month old (who has yet to really talk) likes chanting the letter sounds with us.

My favorite FAVORITE thing about LOE is that it holds my hand. It says, "Hey mama. If your busy little guy isn't blending consistently yet, it's ok (or he needs to do that before moving on). Here's some activities to do to solidify those skills."

We have a BLAST doing our lessons. We march around, we jump, we sing. It's fantastic.

We're finishing up A, and I have found that splitting the lessons helps later in the book. It sounds like you'll want to start your DD out in B, but it is pretty scripted so you'll want to take that into consideration since your DD is Miss Independent. :D

The thought of combining all those different components from different curriculum makes my head spin; I think that sometimes we over do it in hopes of covering any perceived gaps, but then we still doubt what we're doing. At some point you kind of have to trust your curriculum & LoE has really helped me to see that :) In my humble opinion, give yourself permission to use one (or two) curriculum and use them consistently & thoroughly (especially with your DD. It sounds like it would take a lot to hold her back, so just guide her.)  :)

So, next question: is Essentials meant to be done after Foundations is complete? Or are they separate programs, simply designed differently based on the age and experience of the student? I don't see it being a continuous program.

Foundations was not written until after Essentials. People were asking her how to do it with younger kids. I think if you did Foundations all the way through F, which is not written yet, it would take you to the same point as the end of Essentials.

Whitehawk, that makes me think I should start both my kids at B and just let them progress at their own pace. I might have to call the company for advice. See, this is why I always return to assembling it myself, since I already know where my kids are in each of the materials I have been using.

• 7 months later...

Hi there!  I'm currently using LOE Foundations B with my K'er and I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE it!  So does my daughter!  I agree with the above rave reviews about it.  Yes, it's pricey but it's SO worth it!  And it's fun for the littles!

That said, I'm curious if there's anything else I should be doing Language Arts-wise for my 1st grader (next year).  Would adding in FLL or WWE be overkill since she's getting writing and phonics in LOE (I intend to continue with C & D for 1st grade)?  

Hi there! I'm currently using LOE Foundations B with my K'er and I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE it! So does my daughter! I agree with the above rave reviews about it. Yes, it's pricey but it's SO worth it! And it's fun for the littles!

That said, I'm curious if there's anything else I should be doing Language Arts-wise for my 1st grader (next year). Would adding in FLL or WWE be overkill since she's getting writing and phonics in LOE (I intend to continue with C & D for 1st grade)?

I don't know whether you should do any extra work. My first grader is near the end of LOE C, and I started using SWR Wise Guide Spelling with dictation. I've also been using ELTL1 since the beginning of the school year.

Essentials and Foundations go over the same material, just at different speeds and targeted towards different age groups. Foundations is very playful, fun, game-based. Essentials is a bit more get er done.

You mention your 7yo is a good reader but how is his spelling?? If he's also a top notch natural speller, I think LOE b would be way below him. But if not, I think starting them both at b is a great idea.

My kids both finish a level in around 4 months, working on it 3 days a week.

Smarson, I think LOE C and D are a fairly complete 1st grade la program. If you think adding something would be fun, feel free, but you don't really NEED anything. We alternate with ELTL for the read aloud and extra copywork/dictation, but the later LOE books do include their own copywork/dictation.