Menu

Make your own Spelling Lists?

sangtarah

My upcoming 3rd grader is a bad speller, but excellent reader. We have been using BJU Spelling grade 2. She will do fine on the tests, but not transfer that into her writing. 

We own Phonics Pathways. I was wondering if anyone has used that to design their own spelling lists, with rules included?

I have Sequential Spelling 1 for her 3rd grade year, but a dear teacher friend suggested I teach her the rules, not just patterns. 

My other thought was to take her through Christian Liberty Press' Building Spelling Skills along with Adventures in Phonics. I took her with me to look at spelling programs, and she really wanted McGuffey's Eclectic Speller. :-D

If we replace Sequential Spelling, it will have to be low-cost. 

Thanks for your advice!

We used McGuffey's speller this year for our spelling.  We had a spelling bee on Monday and his list became the first ten words he missed.  I skipped a few that were outdated.  I had him copy the list 2x the next day, study the list, and then we had a pretest.  If he passed the pretest, he did not have to do the test on Friday.  This year, he asked to go more to a workbook style.  We are switching to Building Spelling Skills from CLP, but i still plan to hold a few spelling bees and add some McGuffey words as bonus words.  The McGuffey speller is free at www.gutenberg.com.

BJUP's spelling series is quite good.

Rather than change to something else, my suggestion would be to continue with BJUP and make sure you correct words that she misspells in other subjects.

She's just 8ish. Most children that young are still working on their spelling. :-)

I use dictation with my DD to help it transfer to her normal writing (although I watch almost everything she ever writes so am always there to help with spelling). We do use lists to teach a spelling rule or concept, but it is a pretest spelling list that never gets studied (I am just checking whether she knows the rule or not) - I just make sure that if she has struggled with the concept that that particular rule will come up in the dictation regularly - not the specific words, but any word that follows that rule/spelling pattern.

My upcoming 3rd grader is a bad speller, but excellent reader. We have been using BJU Spelling grade 2. She will do fine on the tests, but not transfer that into her writing. 

We own Phonics Pathways. I was wondering if anyone has used that to design their own spelling lists, with rules included?

I have Sequential Spelling 1 for her 3rd grade year, but a dear teacher friend suggested I teach her the rules, not just patterns. 

My other thought was to take her through Christian Liberty Press' Building Spelling Skills along with Adventures in Phonics. I took her with me to look at spelling programs, and she really wanted McGuffey's Eclectic Speller. :-D

If we replace Sequential Spelling, it will have to be low-cost. 

Thanks for your advice!

Um....have you even tried it? And there are rules in SeqSpell btw. The only difference is they are the most common ones, not an exhaustive list and children aren't expected to memorize a rule only...they are expected to learn how to spell. The rules are learned as they spell, not as a separate thing to be memorized. Rules can only take you so far in spelling. What do you do when a word breaks a rule?

This is a great spelling program, especially for a child who reads well. I love SeqSpell. My oldest has done 4 levels and it works. How about just try it? 

Do you understand about how to set up the SeqSpell lessons with the three colored markers/pencils, and that they are not lists to be memorized or tested, but lists to be taught?

BJUP's spelling series is quite good.

Rather than change to something else, my suggestion would be to continue with BJUP and make sure you correct words that she misspells in other subjects.

She's just 8ish. Most children that young are still working on their spelling. :-)

I agree with Ellie.

This is a common problem with youngsters.  My DD was the same way up through part of 4th grade, but with diligence from me by pointing out the errors in her other writing, it cleared up.  It's just a matter of connecting the dots.  It takes a little time.

DD is at the point now that we will not be doing a separate spelling class next year (6th grade).  She does very well with spelling.  However, I will continue to check it across the board and re-mediate if necessary.

Thanks all!

I haven't tried SS yet. We do have the teachers books for levels 1-4, and the student response book for level 1. I do understand the philosophy and set up of the program. 

I chose to not use BJUP b/c of the cost, really. $25 just for the workbook seemed high. Not to mention the TM cost. Of traditional programs, it seems to be the most expensive. Although I haven't looked at R&S much, CLP Building Spelling Skills is carried in our local store, and they both look to be equally good for less cost. 

I really don't want to shop any more for spelling curriculum. And I will have a new K'er and a 1 year-old this school year, so I don't want anything with a lot of parts.  

There are so many things going on in our lives right now. I was surprised by my friend's response to SS. And she was only here for a short visit, so I didn't have time to take her shopping with me. I still feel so new to this homeschooling thing, and I greatly value her input. 

This FREE K-6 list is very good.

http://www.susancanthony.com/ws/_pdf/splhnd.pdf

Video on how to use it.

http://www.susancanthony.com/ws/spel.html

FREE one year Ruth Beechick inspired spelling curriculum

http://annesschoolplace.com/downloads/spellinglevela.pdf

More rules if you feel like you need them. Free.

http://www.riggsinst.org/28rules.aspx

75 Ways to practice spelling words. Free.

http://www.momto2poshlildivas.com/2012/10/75-fun-ways-to-practice-and-learn.html

If spelling is bad because phonics needs to be reviewed, this free curriculum is excellent. Free.

http://www.donpotter.net/pdf/blumnfeld_home_primer.pdf

Cursive handwriting program you can use with it. Free.

http://www.donpotter.net/pdf/af_cursive.pdf

Fancier uppercase letters if you want them.

http://design.tutsplus.com/articles/mastering-calligraphy-how-to-write-in-cursive-script--vector-25716

If you need anything else free, these are my favorite free language arts resources.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/508287-a-crisis-plan-for-language-arts-lots-and-lots-of-free-links/

Thanks all!

I haven't tried SS yet. We do have the teachers books for levels 1-4, and the student response book for level 1. I do understand the philosophy and set up of the program. 

I chose to not use BJUP b/c of the cost, really. $25 just for the workbook seemed high. Not to mention the TM cost. Of traditional programs, it seems to be the most expensive. Although I haven't looked at R&S much, CLP Building Spelling Skills is carried in our local store, and they both look to be equally good for less cost. 

I really don't want to shop any more for spelling curriculum. And I will have a new K'er and a 1 year-old this school year, so I don't want anything with a lot of parts.  

There are so many things going on in our lives right now. I was surprised by my friend's response to SS. And she was only here for a short visit, so I didn't have time to take her shopping with me. I still feel so new to this homeschooling thing, and I greatly value her input. 

But your friend is a classroom teacher, yes? I gotta tell you, things are different for homeschoolers than they are in a classroom. :-)

Rod and Staff's Spelling by Sound and Structure is superior to CLP's Building Spelling Skills, IMHO. There is a big change between SSS's 3rd and 4th, though; from 4th up, SSS is my favorite *traditional* spelling series (BJUP is a close second). You can get free curriculum samples from the publisher by calling (606) 522-4348.

Many people have had success with Sequential Spelling, your friend's comments notwithstanding. :-) The reason I like R&S (4th and up) is for the activities, which are quite challenging and useful.