Menu

Community College summer session- just as I predicted!

Rebel Yell

After today, Diamond has just 1 more week in her 6-week summer session. She's taking 2 classes- Macroeconomics & Principles of Marketing. There was only 1 week off after the Spring semester.

She is NOT a morning person- Macro at 8:30am, 15 min break, then Marketing at 10:30am. 15 min break for lunch, then 2-2.5 hrs work study on campus library. Weds & Thurs she comes home and changes clothes and goes to her other job at the local dance retailer from 4-8. :driving:  :willy_nilly:  :willy_nilly:  :willy_nilly:  :driving: :willy_nilly: :driving: :svengo:  Fridays OFF!

I predicted that her first week, she would hate it and want to quit. Then she'd just keep going, and by Week 6 be SOOOO glad she did this and be amazed at how fast it went.

ALL TRUE!  And she's understanding Economics better than she thought she would- her main reason for taking it in summer was to condense a dreaded class into 6 weeks rather than 16. She added Marketing for 3 reasons: 1. 6 credits allowed her to get work-study hours in her beloved library, 2. not taking Marketing in the fall freed her schedule so she doesn't have to take her required intro to computers class online, and 3. she does not start classes until 11am in the fall!  Great for a non-morning person, also good because when it snows the roads aren't always clear for a 9am class.

And she'll still have about 7-8 weeks off before fall semester!

My son, a rising high school senior, is taking two classes this summer at cc college. Hated the idea at first but now it is routine. He goes to from 10 -12:15 then off to work til 4:00. Not a great summer, but he is glad to have these two classes done.

I'm glad you posted this - ds will likely take a summer college course (or 2) after his freshman and/or sophomore (in college) years to help keep his credit hours down during the school year.

A LOT of people do this.  One of Diamond's friends is in a high-pressure program at a large school. She's taking elective & history classes at community college while she;s home for the summer so her regular school schedule isn;t so grueling.

Yes, mine complained about his dual enrollment class at first, but it's been straightforward and has given him confidence about college a little over a year from now.  It hasn't been bad for him to focus on one intense class.

He has a heavy schedule in the fall, and I suggested that we maybe delay his dual enrollment Spanish.  And he said he wants to keep going and stay connected there.  He even talked about doing a few activities with the student association then.  So we'll keep on.

• 2 weeks later...

DD just finished Psychology at Community College Summer session.  Much easier to manage as she had to study only this one

subject for 5 weeks. She ended up absorbing much more.  This way when she's going full time in September, she can take a lighter load.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

shamima