Menu

ordering saxon 3

Andani

To the ladies ahead of me on the Saxon trail:

I don't understand what I really need for Saxon 3.  I see a teacher book and student workbooks (part 1 and part 2). But what is the meeting book?  And did you purchase the manipulatives kit or make due with your own stuff?

Thanks!

The meeting book has calendar pages to write the date and daily temperature.  It also has some blanks in the back to write skip counting.  I purchased the manipulative kit, but i have four kids to put through Saxon so it seemed worth it to me.  It's a decent kit and did make things easier.  

To the ladies ahead of me on the Saxon trail:

I don't understand what I really need for Saxon 3.  I see a teacher book and student workbooks (part 1 and part 2). But what is the meeting book?  And did you purchase the manipulatives kit or make due with your own stuff?

Thanks!

The meeting book has calendar pages to write the date and daily temperature.  It also has some blanks in the back to write skip counting. 

You definitely do not NEED the meeting book. I used it way back b/c it came with the package of TM and student work pages.  But we do our own circle time which includes weather and calendar.  

I would highly recommend the manipulatives kit OR accumulating your own.  I never ordered the kit, but I assembled many, many manipulatives over the years.   The only thing we never really got was the balance scale but that made zero difference to teaching the lessons or concepts.  We use scales at the grocery store, our own bathroom scale and we've made balance scales in physical science.  But if you're just starting out, yes, you will want and need to use the manipulatives. 

Lisa

This is why I think it will be nearly perfect for us, too. My son has already memorized his multiplication tables up to 12x12, and we have lots of manipulatives gathered up from using RightStart A & B. My older son switched to Saxon beginning 6/5 so I'm familiar with that.

Paradox5:  Here's a link to the Saxon 3 Intermediate:

http://www.christianbook.com/saxon-math-intermediate-complete-homeschool-kit/stephen-hake/9780547625867/pd/625867

This is why I think it will be nearly perfect for us, too. My son has already memorized his multiplication tables up to 12x12, and we have lots of manipulatives gathered up from using RightStart A & B. My older son switched to Saxon beginning 6/5 so I'm familiar with that.

Paradox5:  Here's a link to the Saxon 3 Intermediate:

http://www.christianbook.com/saxon-math-intermediate-complete-homeschool-kit/stephen-hake/9780547625867/pd/625867

Thanks! The confusing bit are the extra wkbks. Do you need them?

There is also a "Power Up" workbook that we found redundant and unnecessary. I didn't need the solutions manual, either. The adaptions book is designed for children with learning disabilities. I'm not entirely sure what is included in it but we didn't buy it.

The "Written Practice Workbooks" and the "Testing Book" are the ones that we used. HTH.

I do not see that the Written practice Wkbk has enough room to work the problems out, though.

Some problems do need to be done to the side or on a separate piece of paper. We usually used a separate paper and then just wrote the final answer on the worksheet. The majority, however, can be done on the worksheet.