Menu

Mesa Verda and Grand Canyon With Limited Mobility

A friend has limited mobility but wants to take her children to visit these parks. The children are 8 and 10 and able bodied. But mom cannot handle a long hike. 1/4 mile is about her limit and she may not be able to do anything the next day if she does that much. She wants to know if anyone has been there and if it is possible to enjoy these parks with limited mobility. 

Mom does not use any assisted devices for mobility and has no interest in renting one for the trip.

Mom is doing this as a fun mini vacation. The kids really want to go and they plan to camp due to limited $$. Renting a wheel chair or doing a mule of horse ride is not in the budget. Dad is unable to take off of work to go.

She could see the visitor center and overlooks at Mesa Verde, but the trails to the ruins would be challenging, as they're steep in places. Here's more specific info on accessibility: http://www.nps.gov/meve/planyourvisit/physical-mobility.htm

I haven't been to the Grand Canyon since I was a kid, but there's a lot to see there even from a vehicle, and several overlooks that wouldn't require much of a hike depending on how far away she had to park.

In my opinion, Grand Canyon is very do-able on limited mobility.  There are so many different overlooks that don't require hiking, plus many different visitors centers that all have a different flavor.

Mesa Verde would be more difficult.  There are overlooks from the car, or within a very short walking distance.  But, not as many.  And, they are a very very long drive away from the entrance.  Probably an hour drive from the entrance, and then an hours drive back.  If she REALLY wants to go, then its possible.  But, I feel that for the few overlooks you get to see, combined with the very long car trip it's wouldn't be worth it for me.  There are many tours and hikes down there, but they are all more than 1/4 mile, and moderately strenuous.

Just my opinion on these two parks.  Please tell her to have fun!

I agree with the others - Grand Canyon doable, Mesa Verde probably too steep even though at least one of the trails is short (we went in late spring when only one ruin area was open.  I was carrying a toddler on my back at Mesa Verde and that was quite tough).

If she's up for some driving, we went from the Grand Canyon to Mesa Verde via a night in Monument Valley, UT.  We didn't do any hiking there, but the landscape is really cool. http://monumentvalleyview.com/

re mesa verde: she could call and ask the rangers.  ten years ago, it was possible to book a tour of one of the houses that is visible from the parking lot near the visitors' center.  if her children are like mine, they could do that on their own, while she watched from the parking lot.  i seem to remember a ramped trail entrance, too.... but if she doesn't have a wheel chair, the parking lot may be it.  

again, completely from memory, which is notoriously faulty, i think its possible to walk from the bottom of the ramp into the house.  she would have to leave the same way rather than climb the ladder to continue the tour, but it would give her a taste.  

re grande canyon.  ten years ago, it was possible to park right by one of the trails down.  she could go just a short way down; it changes everything.  otherwise, a view from the rim would be good.

how come she has no interest in having anything to help her?  since breaking my knee cap, i have found a wheel chair invaluable for when i want to be out doing things with my kids.  it is more work, but it means we can do things we couldn't do otherwise.  and its a clue to those around me that i might be injured.

hth,

ann

Grand Canyon is very doable.  If she would be willing to use a wheel chair, there is a great trail along the rim that her and the kids can do. Buses will also take you from one end to the other and you can get out at all the different overlooks, enjoy it for a while and then get the next bus fifteen minutes later.

I have no experience with Mesa Verde but I second a trip up to Monument Valley.  You can see everything there from the car and it is really spectacular. We went from there down to the Four Corners last year and then back to Flagstaff.  The scenery was really interesting all through the area.  My only warning would be that there is not much out there not even a bush if you need to go! We were in an RV we rented so we had everything on board and were glad we did.