Menu

Physics without Algebra

Leav97

What are the options for physics without Algebra?

I know grade levels don't really matter for homeschooler but for reference, this fall I will have a 5th grader who's possibly going to grade skip to 6th grade.  She's already working on 6th grade math and English (except spelling).  But for science we got a little off track.  We've done Elemental Science for Biology, Earth\Astronomy, and Chemistry.  We're do for Physics.  Most of the middle school science sequences put physics as the last topic covered and combine physics and chemistry to make physical science.  I'm OK with purchasing physical science but, she will just be finishing 6th grade math and starting pre-algebra.  She doesn't want to a curriculum for 4th graders.  Chemistry this year was way to easy.

I've been looking at CPO Physical Science but, I can't figure out if the math is doable for a 6th grader.  Help!

I am going to take the back door approach to answering your question.

There is absolutely no set order in which younger kids need to study science. While broadly classified, science falls into the major categories you have listed, there are so many areas of focus that it is impossible for single yr topical books to do more than brush the surface. Until they are ready to study complex areas, like understanding the chemical processes required for the Krebs cycle, the sequence of areas of study is really wide open to their interests.

Since all high school science begins at an introductory level, building a broad foundation for general scientific understanding for upper level sciences is the main objective. Your child could spend a yr on ecology, botany, metrology, geology, etc, or simply a general wandering through whatever scientific topics interest for 6th grade and be set. There are books on specific topics like quarks,neutrinos, etc that she could read. There are just so many options besides moving toward a textbook which requires math beyond the the 6th grade level.

(Fwiw, grade level on a unknown math book is incredibly hard to gauge what is actually being covered.) What a 6th grade TT book covers is vastly different than say Math in Focus's Course 1 (which is their 6th grade text. ). And math is what drives the sequence ultimately and algebra is going to be the threshold.)

I like using middle school as an opportunity to really explore any and all areas of interest. High school science courses really dig down into very specific topics. Since there is nothing defined as "required" 6th grade science, she could study topics in physics, but she certainly doesn't have to.