Menu

bringing home foster/adopted children...

In our county and most likely in yours, decisions about permanency are made by judges and implemented by case workers, not decided by foster or prospective adoptive families. In our state, children are switched to an adoption track after a year in foster care if parents show no signs of progress. They look for relatives first and then put out a bulletin to invite prospective families to submit a home study. Once a family is chosen, the child may move as a foster-adopt placement even if the termination of parental rights hasn't happened yet.

I think it's wonderful when adoptive homes are in the same community as foster homes so that friendships and schools can remain! It sounds like a great idea to maintain close contact.

I'm guessing there are things you aren't telling us here because like the previous poster said the foster parent doesn't decide where the children go. I think it might be odd to be told I don't want you but the people over there do.

I don't know, here the kids would go to any family that would take them, then may be placed with a previously approved person as a "home for life" (sort of permanent guardianship with contact with the birth family) although I suppose a person could get approved because they had a relationship with a non-related child.

Anyway I suspect you wouldn't be allowed to remove them from school until the adoption was final which I thought took a year (but that is just from reading).

If you do get to make the choice about schooling, I think it would be preferable to leave them at the school they are at while they adjust to their family, unless there are major problems with school. 

Perhaps this is easier said than done, but it might be worth trying not to spend too much time and energy worrying about details until you hear whether you will actually be having these children as part of your family.

Oh gosh, at first I thought you meant you were going to adopt them and then leave them at the neighbor's for a year.  :lol:  

I don't have any firsthand adoption experience, but I would be inclined to take the changes more slowly and give them a year.

I probably wouldn't disrupt anything midyear that was working.

But if something major happens over ther the summer, I would tend to keep my new children with my biological children. I had one child in PS and one at home for awhile, and it was the right thing to do, but it was a bit awkward and ... I don't know. The PS child wanted to be there, but also felt excluded from what was happening at home. He had a lot of mixed feeling and confusing. The middle grade years are messy anyway, but...

There is no blanket answer. It's going to depend on so many things.

Oh gosh, at first I thought you meant you were going to adopt them and then leave them at the neighbor's for a year. :lol:

I don't have any firsthand adoption experience, but I would be inclined to take the changes more slowly and give them a year.

I did too!

I agree on taking it slowly.

I don't know if it varies by state but I know that in my home state where I adopted homeschooling is not an option until the adoption is finalized.  That can take a very long time.  Have you had a home study done yet?

If all other criteria has been met and you are nearing the adoption process, I think, as Hunter stated, it would depend on a many different factors. 

Best of luck to you!