Menu

Help!! Curriculum Craziness!

at the beach

Hi Everyone, I need some advice. This year we have used Ambleside. We love it. I love CM. Love it. Year 1 went really well for dd 9, though a few of the books were over her head like Parables of Nature by Gatty, Trial and Triumph, for example. DD 11 loved Year 3 for the most part. We substituted Dangerous Journey for the original Pilgrim's Progress and she did not like Parables of Nature. Other than that, it went great. She loved the poetry, the lit selections, and has developed a sincere love of history. So, we were all set to do AO Year 2 with my 9 yo, but I worried a bit that maybe she wasn't quite ready for it as she has some learning differences. Year 1 was sometimes over her head. I was debating between a Year 4/5 combo or Year 6 for my 11 yo. Not sure which. She won't be able to complete all the years prior to entering AO House of Education for the upper years. I also wasn't crazy about Animal Farm in Year 6. So, I was looking at doing a little bit of adjusting regardless for her.

THEN, dd is perusing the Sonlight Catalog we have laying around and announces to me that she really, really likes the looks of Core 5 Eastern Hemisphere and thinks she'd like to do that. I give her the AO book lists and have her take a look at those, which she also likes, but insists she really thinks Eastern Hemisphere sounds awesome. Well, all I can think is, uh-oh. I take a look at it, and I think, hmm, she might really enjoy this. Plus, there's the instructor guide, which could be good. Double uh-oh. :tongue_smilie: Then, I take a look at the rest of the catalog, which I've never really looked at all that closely other than to pick a few free reads, which have been major hits here--another point in Sonlight's favor. I realize dd 9 might really like Core 1 & 2 and it might be more appropriate for her level right now than AO Year 2, and that the readers might be something she'd really take to. Okay, another uh-oh. With Core 5, it really doesn't look that overwhelming, but maybe it is? And maybe it's not as good as it looks?

AM I OUT OF MY MIND?!

I love Ambleside. I do.

Like I said, Curriculum Craziness.

Do any of you do things like this? I think I know that answer. ;)

Is this something I should even consider? I'm tempted to let my daughter 11 take the lead in this if only because there is the 18 week return policy. I would not use their Language Arts or Science, btw. I suppose in the scheme of things AO and Sonlight are similar in some ways--lit based, no busy work with crafty stuff, etc.

What say you, hive mind?

Anita

Well, I've only looked at AO - never used it. The nice thing about that is the price.;)

I did use Sonlight 5 with dd15 when she was about 12 or 13 and she absolutely loved it - it is one of her fondest homeschool memories. The books are awesome - many of them really pull at the heartstrings, kwim?

Starting in January, I am planning on using Sonlight 1 with dd9 and Sonlight 6 with ds12 since they are both World History and I won't have to switch tracks in my mind so much.

I totally love SL because of the IGs - wow, what an awesome help the IGs are. But they are pricey. You can often find used sets, which is how I got my SL5, but then there is no guarantee.

If you can spring for it, I'd say go for SL.

I say what's the harm in trying sonlight? You already said you weren't going to complete the ambleside pre highschool years so you don't have the pressure to read all of "their" books. You will have your older dd's support, and hopefully enthusiasm, when it comes time to do schoolwork. And, I believe that Sonlight and CM have several points of intersection, especially if you will be doing LA and Science following Ambleside.

Good luck!

Jesi

I have drooled over SL many times but never actually used it. I'm attempting AO this year with my 10 and 9 yo. The plan is to do both years 2 and 3 this year together, but now after completing our second week I'm rethinking our plans. I've been doing all the history reading because I want to learn all this stuff too, however, I'm finding it hard to keep up. Trying to teach my 5.5yo to read and keep my almost 2 yo from distracting the others (and out of trouble) is wearing me out. By the time my little one goes down for her nap I'm ready for one myself and don't feel like doing the history reading. We are already behind schedule. I'm thinking about separating the two older ones into their own years (2 & 3) and having them do all the reading themselves, but I don't know if my 9yo could handle it. If I have to do most of the reading for him, then I'm not much better off. Any advice?

I LOVE Amblesides books selections, but I do still meander over to the SL site and wonder if I'd be better off there. I know the reading pace is faster, but maybe with a low enough core the dc could do alot of the reading themselves. Also, less books to keep track of at a time is appealing.

In your case, I think you should let your dd do the SL core 5, especially since she's so excited about it. My dd loves to read, but she doesn't take much interest in helping me pick out books or curriculum. She just reads whatever I give her and usually enjoys it. Would your dd be able to do most of core 5 on her own? It sounds like you would need to be more involved with your ds.

Really you probably can't go wrong either way.

I have drooled over SL many times but never actually used it. I'm attempting AO this year with my 10 and 9 yo. The plan is to do both years 2 and 3 this year together, but now after completing our second week I'm rethinking our plans. I've been doing all the history reading because I want to learn all this stuff too, however, I'm finding it hard to keep up. Trying to teach my 5.5yo to read and keep my almost 2 yo from distracting the others (and out of trouble) is wearing me out. By the time my little one goes down for her nap I'm ready for one myself and don't feel like doing the history reading. We are already behind schedule. I'm thinking about separating the two older ones into their own years (2 & 3) and having them do all the reading themselves, but I don't know if my 9yo could handle it. If I have to do most of the reading for him, then I'm not much better off. Any advice?

I LOVE Amblesides books selections, but I do still meander over to the SL site and wonder if I'd be better off there. I know the reading pace is faster, but maybe with a low enough core the dc could do alot of the reading themselves. Also, less books to keep track of at a time is appealing.

In your case, I think you should let your dd do the SL core 5, especially since she's so excited about it. My dd loves to read, but she doesn't take much interest in helping me pick out books or curriculum. She just reads whatever I give her and usually enjoys it. Would your dd be able to do most of core 5 on her own? It sounds like you would need to be more involved with your ds.

Really you probably can't go wrong either way.

Hi Chloe, You know, if I were you, I would not be doing two years together of AO. Are you meaning you have each kid in a separate year? That would be too, too much. I would put both of them in Year 2. It is the beginning of AO's history cycle. It has fantastic books as a part of it. Some are continued from year 1, like Parables of Nature and Tales from Shakespeare, which were over my kid's head to some extent. I would truly, truly do Year 2 if I were you for both your children. It is not in any way inappropriate for a 10 yo. The books are highly challenging and rich. Doing Year 2 with both kids will literally cut your work in half and both your kids will be getting a great, great program! You will have them each in their own math/phonics or grammar as the case may be. Foreign language could be together, too, as would be composer and artist study, nature study. Really, don't throw in the towel until you try doing both of them in Year 1. The free read selections are enough to beef it up for your older child if she needs that.

Good luck!!! Hmm, here I am thinking of Sonlight and encouraging you to stay with AO. ;)

Thank you also for your input, too. Let me know what you decide. I'm still on the fence.

Anita

Well, as everyone here has probably figured out, I am a sonlight addict. My ds did core 5 year before last and it is an awesome year. He really enjoyed most of the books and a favorite at our house were the Choose Your Own County Projects, they were so much fun. We had a luau and invited our homeschool group, he built a volcano model, made a yurt, cooked several ethnic foods including some delicious little Australian cakes called lamingtons:) and also did some animal info cards and reports.

Another part of core 5 your dd may enjoy is that one of the main spines is the World book on the computer and she will read this online and fill in pages and do mapwork in the EHE. This is independent work and she may really enjoy it.

Sonlight 1+2 is also a fun year and your younger dd would probably love it. she would get to study Ancient Egypt, Greece, Rome, the Middle ages, and everything in between. The read-alouds are really fun and have some silly accents. By the time we were done I wasn't sure whether I was an Italian chef or a southern girl from Arkansas.:lol:

Hi Everyone, I need some advice. This year we have used Ambleside. We love it. I love CM. Love it. Year 1 went really well for dd 9, though a few of the books were over her head like Parables of Nature by Gatty, Trial and Triumph, for example. DD 11 loved Year 3 for the most part. We substituted Dangerous Journey for the original Pilgrim's Progress and she did not like Parables of Nature. Other than that, it went great. She loved the poetry, the lit selections, and has developed a sincere love of history. So, we were all set to do AO Year 2 with my 9 yo, but I worried a bit that maybe she wasn't quite ready for it as she has some learning differences. Year 1 was sometimes over her head. I was debating between a Year 4/5 combo or Year 6 for my 11 yo. Not sure which. She won't be able to complete all the years prior to entering AO House of Education for the upper years. I also wasn't crazy about Animal Farm in Year 6. So, I was looking at doing a little bit of adjusting regardless for her.

THEN, dd is perusing the Sonlight Catalog we have laying around and announces to me that she really, really likes the looks of Core 5 Eastern Hemisphere and thinks she'd like to do that. I give her the AO book lists and have her take a look at those, which she also likes, but insists she really thinks Eastern Hemisphere sounds awesome. Well, all I can think is, uh-oh. I take a look at it, and I think, hmm, she might really enjoy this. Plus, there's the instructor guide, which could be good. Double uh-oh. :tongue_smilie: Then, I take a look at the rest of the catalog, which I've never really looked at all that closely other than to pick a few free reads, which have been major hits here--another point in Sonlight's favor. I realize dd 9 might really like Core 1 & 2 and it might be more appropriate for her level right now than AO Year 2, and that the readers might be something she'd really take to. Okay, another uh-oh. With Core 5, it really doesn't look that overwhelming, but maybe it is? And maybe it's not as good as it looks?

AM I OUT OF MY MIND?!

I love Ambleside. I do.

Like I said, Curriculum Craziness.

Do any of you do things like this? I think I know that answer. ;)

Is this something I should even consider? I'm tempted to let my daughter 11 take the lead in this if only because there is the 18 week return policy. I would not use their Language Arts or Science, btw. I suppose in the scheme of things AO and Sonlight are similar in some ways--lit based, no busy work with crafty stuff, etc.

What say you, hive mind?

Anita

We did AO last year (or half the year) with the same results. Many of the books were just way over ds's head.

Sonlight can be a lot of work if you let it but you don't have to do absolutely everything. The books really are magical. We kind of do a mix of our own stuff right now but with the read alouds.

Well, I guess I am going against the grain here, but we are returning to AO after a year of Sonlight. We did Core 3/4 last year, ds and I were totally overwhelmed by the amount of reading, both in read aloud, history and readers. :tongue_smilie: You may have a lot of books with AO, but at least the readings are a more managable amount. We did AO year 3 and it was an awesome year. We will be doing AO year 1 with dd 7 and AO year 6 with ds 12. I will be doing all of dd's readings and some of ds's readings, but because the amount to read at a time is less this should be no problem. I wish you luck on your decision. Another thought, maybe you could print out a sample week for Sonlight and see if it would work for you, if you can get the books at the library. Kind of test it out??

Blessings,

Pat

If the cost is not an obstacle, I would advise you to go for Sonlight! What's the harm in trying it; especially if you think it would be good for your dd's? BTW, I usually have a yearly curr. meltdown when the new Sonlight catalog comes out. Fortunately, this year I had solid, definite goals in mind that ruled it out, and I was able to look at the catalog without any ill effects. I haven't completely ruled out using it in the future, though. Good luck!

If the cost is not an obstacle, I would advise you to go for Sonlight! What's the harm in trying it; especially if you think it would be good for your dd's? BTW, I usually have a yearly curr. meltdown when the new Sonlight catalog comes out. Fortunately, this year I had solid, definite goals in mind that ruled it out, and I was able to look at the catalog without any ill effects. I haven't completely ruled out using it in the future, though. Good luck!

Curriculum meltdown. That's too funny, and that's what I feel like. And NOW on top of it all, I have been lurking on a thread talking about Artistic Pursuits.

I'm taking a closer look at their online schedules. They really don't look too bad but maybe I am deluding myself, and that's quite possible. ;)

I'll think on it some more. I've appreciated everyone's advice so far and thoughts on this.

One other thing about Sonlight is that it doesn't seem as intense to me in some ways. AO's books are great but they aren't exactly light. I am in the mood for something light and perhaps a *bit* easier for them to tackle and for me to read aloud. We started using Galore Park for English and what a breath of fresh air for grammar over what we've done in the past. My dd 11 loves it.

I'm still thinking on it, though. :)

Thanks again, everyone. I love all this feedback!

Anita

Funny, I'm having a curriculum meltdown too! Except I'm switching to Ambleside after using KONOS. I just ordered the books I want from Amazon. My 9 year old has the opposite problem, I can't find books challenging enough for her, and she ends up reading junk! We can't afford Sonlight, which is why I'm not purchasing it. However, I'm going to use some of their book suggestions as independent reading. Maybe you could do that? Or, you could buy one core and modify it to use with both the girls so you're not spending so much money (if that's an issue). For what it's worth, we LOVE Artistic Pursuits. We took a year 1/2 to finish book one and now we're starting book 2. We think it's fabulous! :)

Blessings from a fellow curriculum junkie!:seeya:

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I wanted to update all of you! First, thank you for all the wonderful advice!

We did order the Sonlight Cores (1/2 and 5). The kids were beside themselves when those boxes came. :001_smile: We started last weekend and so this is only our first week. I have to say, dd 11 really is enjoying Core 5. DD 9 is enjoying Core 1/2. She is moving quickly through some of the readers, though. I am honestly not feeling all that overwhelmed by Core 1/2 like I thought I might. The reading is much lighter than what we did last year. She also seems to "get" this Core better than some of AO, which was hard for her. I am rereading Aesop's fables to her as those were in AO Year 1, but she's "getting" them better this year. Core 5 is keeping dd 11 busy but she read the first reader, Henry Reed, in one day. :001_huh:

So, I *think* at this point, this will work out for us. I do love the IG's. I have to say I heard conflicting stuff about them being confusing but I had no trouble putting them together and finding what I needed in them. I guess having no guide in previous years has made me feel extremely grateful for having one now. ;) I also work, so I really feel blessed to have a guide to help me.

I love the geography focus.

What I think is missing somewhat are the challenges that AO offered. But Sonlight has a lighter fun flavor to it while AO can seem quite heavy. We are already adding in AO books, though. ;) Which leads me to say that I have not found Sonlight to be all that overwhelming...yet. ;) I know AO isn't supposed to be overwhelming but it does get taxing to read things like Pilgrim's Progress and Parables of Nature. So, reading Red Sails to Capri is easy in comparison. Seabird, for Core 5, however, had us quite traumatized when the whale was killed. DD 11 was almost in tears. :crying: We went on a whale watch a few years ago, so we know first hand how beautiful these animals are and my child is very sensitive about animals.

But all in all, I think this was a good way for me to go with them right now. Again, thanks everyone for all your help.

Anita

Just a quick note to say that we did Core 5 a while back, with my then 10 and 12 yos. We LOVED it, and I have to say, the geography aspect of it was very interesting to all of us! The material covers things I really don't see covered in the same way anywhere else, and we learned an enormous amount that year. I hope your year goes well!

Shelly

Just a quick note to say that we did Core 5 a while back, with my then 10 and 12 yos. We LOVED it, and I have to say, the geography aspect of it was very interesting to all of us! The material covers things I really don't see covered in the same way anywhere else, and we learned an enormous amount that year. I hope your year goes well!

Shelly

Thanks for your input and well wishes! I agree that what is covered in Core 5 isn't really found anyplace else. I think the geography aspect of Sonlight is one of its strong points. I'm going to use the suggestion to put a world map on our kitchen table under a clear tablecloth. What a great suggestion in the teacher guide. I fully intended to go right back to AO after this Core 5 detour, but now, I am looking at Core 6 and it looks really good, too.

Anita