Menu

More help 8th/9th grade Lit/Writing

So, I'm still going around in circles about what to do about 8th/9th grade Lit/Writing (Grammar/Vocab I've got covered - don't need extra of that).

Help me sort through what would make the most sense!

8th choices:

Option 1: Parts of LL8, Lively Art of Writing (read/workbook, but don't use writing assignments), WriteGuide for assessment of this and additional history/science reports

Option 2: Pretty much the same, but could I somehow squeeze Windows to the World in 2nd semester, and do LAoW 1st semester?

Option 3. Dump LL8 and LAoW, use Center for Lit's Syllabus for Introduction to Literary Analysis that combines WttW and Teaching the Classics, and maybe keep WriteGuide on board for assessment of this and some additional history/science reports?

Option 4: Those intriguing sounding books Kai mentioned - Grading with a Purple Crayon and the Lit book by the same author (Luchsinger) - but I haven't even looked at them yet (and my library doesn't have them, even with ILL...).  And probably keep WriteGuide for assessment because that's where all the head-butting takes place, no matter how clear the rubric...

9th choices:

Option 1: Center for Lit's lit discussion classes + their accompanying writing class

Option 2: Center for Lit's lit discussion classes + Lost Tools of Writing online class

Option 3: Suggestions??

My three daughters are going through Lively Art of Writing now and I am very happy with it.  I think you could work through it in one semester.  There is a link to a pdf workbook somewhere on this board where another homeschool mom has graciously transferred all of the writing exercises from the book.  We have done some exercises and added in writing on topics of their choice to practice the chapter theme.  I think it has really improved their writing in a short period of time and you can't beat the price of the book!  I was not really a fan of Writing with the Best that we tried in an earlier year and wound up chucking it.

HTH

LAoW can definitely be done in a semester, especially if the student is familiar with the basics of essay writing.

I wrote a long post earlier but decided it was too rambling and incoherent. But suffice it to say that you're not alone in trying to figure out what to do about writing for next year! Your option 3 (Jill Pike's syllabus combinging WttW and TtC) is one of the possibilities but I'm just not 100% sold on it. I have a copy of WttW TM but I'd need to get copies of the student book plus TtC and that starts adding up.

LAoW can definitely be done in a semester, especially if the student is familiar with the basics of essay writing.

I wrote a long post earlier but decided it was too rambling and incoherent. But suffice it to say that you're not alone in trying to figure out what to do about writing for next year! Your option 3 (Jill Pike's syllabus combinging WttW and TtC) is one of the possibilities but I'm just not 100% sold on it. I have a copy of WttW TM but I'd need to get copies of the student book plus TtC and that starts adding up.

The problem is, I already own LAoW, LL8 *and* TtC... which actually makes the decision harder... And if I buy WttW, it includes the Jill Pike syllabus for free... ugh. Actually makes the decision harder!

Thinking with you for 8th:

I originally thought we'd do WttW (w/out TTC but pulling freely from the Jill Pike syllabus) spread out over the year for 8th. 

However, I ended up planning the Elegant Essay for 1st semester and I'm leaving the 2nd semester open for LAoW, writing across the curriculum, The Pen Commandments, or ??

I'm planning on doing WttW for 9th - either as a semester or 3/4th of the year and then pull some of Excellence in Literature modules to finish the year.

Mine worked through WWS1, but I decided she needs some more work on essays before moving into Lit Analysis. So, that's why I chose what I chose for 1st semester. I'm still open to what to do for 2nd semester.... I ended up working backwards - what do I want her to know, what does she need to know for high school, what skills does she need to shore up or more work in?