Menu

FAS question

Carrie12345

I know many of you are well-versed on fetal alcohol issues.  Can anyone tell me if multiple (2-3) facial characteristics can be present in non-FAS children?  I feel like I'm grasping at straws for reassurance, but I also don't want to risk causing trouble where there isn't any. 

I'm sure a couple could be. Or maybe the exposure was early or mild. Or even maybe not. Each individual would have his own sensitivity.

What trouble is there to cause? Honestly, what's done is done. Unless the person is an alcoholic and the discussion would be part of an intervention, I really can't see beating on the person now. And no doubt they will be having to deal with the issues as the child develops. But there really isn't specific ARND treatment either. And any ideas you give can be given without relating it to it.

Sorry to be judgmental. I just think that unless the child is in danger now, it makes more sense to be empathetic and helpful, not judge what may have happened in pregnancy.

(Note: I do have times I'm angry with my children's birth mom. I just TRY to not stay there regardless of whether it is about this issue or another because that only hurts me really. And I know there are reasons she did what she did. We all know it was wrong. Now we have to deal with what is).

It is worth a full workup. Where there is smoke, there is usually fire. :( So sorry. On the flip side, though, my daughter with FASD has NONE of the facial features and no medical history, so it took us a really long time to figure out what was going on. Early diagnosis has better outcomes. We could have saved her a lot of suffering had we known early.

I'm sure a couple could be. Or maybe the exposure was early or mild. Or even maybe not. Each individual would have his own sensitivity.

What trouble is there to cause? Honestly, what's done is done. Unless the person is an alcoholic and the discussion would be part of an intervention, I really can't see beating on the person now. And no doubt they will be having to deal with the issues as the child develops. But there really isn't specific ARND treatment either. And any ideas you give can be given without relating it to it.

Sorry to be judgmental. I just think that unless the child is in danger now, it makes more sense to be empathetic and helpful, not judge what may have happened in pregnancy.

(Note: I do have times I'm angry with my children's birth mom. I just TRY to not stay there regardless of whether it is about this issue or another because that only hurts me really. And I know there are reasons she did what she did. We all know it was wrong. Now we have to deal with what is).

Oh, no! Beating on the person isn't intended, I promise. But it could likely be taken as that.  I just don't know what the (young) child's medical care situation has been, though I do know the importance of early interventions. KWIM?  It's a very delicate family situation that makes me reluctant to bring it up to my husband, who would be the closest person to actually (potentially) say something to the parent.

If the child is delayed in some area and needs early intervention, they don't need any type of medical diagnosis to be referred or eligible. If you think there's an issue, I would encourage the family to seek a free developmental evaluation with your state's early intervention program. Parents can refer their children themselves.

We've had a few FAS/FAE kids with some mild/possible facial characteristics. The two I'm thinking of also had significant missing teeth due to bottle rot and so I always wondered if maybe the thin upper lip/philtrum thing had something to do with that? We do know a definitely non-drinking family whose daughter looks exactly like the picture of the girl on the poster who comes up when you google-image fetal alcohol syndrome. Some people just naturally have small jaws and thin upper lips and small eyes. Anyway... I think you can have fetal alcohol without the facial characteristics and can have some facial characteristics of FAS without having had any alcohol exposure.