Menu

Circe Institute LTOW online classes

Bumping this again because I'd really like to know too.  Has no one taken these?  Someone must have - the (many) courses for next year are almost all full!

Do you have to buy all the expensive LToW materials (how much are they again?) along with the course, or are the materials included?

They seem to be live courses?  Was there extensive or at least adequate feedback?  Did the student grow and develop significantly in writing?  Would Level 1 still be appropriate for a 15yo 10th grader if we didn't get to it till then (min age is 14)?  How overt / pervasive is the Christian content?

Bumping this again because I'd really like to know too. Has no one taken these? Someone must have - the (many) courses for next year are almost all full!

Do you have to buy all the expensive LToW materials (how much are they again?) along with the course, or are the materials included?

They seem to be live courses? Was there extensive or at least adequate feedback? Did the student grow and develop significantly in writing? Would Level 1 still be appropriate for a 15yo 10th grader if we didn't get to it till then (min age is 14)? How overt / pervasive is the Christian content?

I have dd13 registered for LTOW1 (full refund policy up until 1 week before class starts). I wanted to reserve our spot.

I've always wanted to go the classical writing route with her but after public and private school until 5th grade, it always seemed like too much of a step back to start at the beginning of the progym. From the Circe website, it seems like this might be a good way to jump into the canons with an older student. This would be for 8th and 9th grade.

I have dd13 registered for LTOW1 (full refund policy up until 1 week before class starts). I wanted to reserve our spot.

I've always wanted to go the classical writing route with her but after public and private school until 5th grade, it always seemed like too much of a step back to start at the beginning of the progym. From the Circe website, it seems like this might be a good way to jump into the canons with an older student. This would be for 8th and 9th grade.

I was planning to use Lively Art of Writing with WriteGuide and writing across the curriculum next year for 8th.  That combo worked really well for my older two kids in 8th.  I'm not sure what we'll do for 9th.  I was thinking about doing some kind of Geography for social studies in 9th, and dd expressed some interest in AP Human Geography, and if she did that, I'd want a fairly light English Writing year, as that course seems to have a lot of writing (even though it says it's not "writing intensive" - I gather that means "for an AP").  But I'm really not sure that she'll be up for that class by 9th (even though it seems like a lot of kids take it then) - she will have to significantly increase her reading stamina.  That's something we'll be working on a lot next year - we'll reevaluate after that.

If she took a lighter and less writing intensive Geography that year, then LToW could be a very interesting option for 9th, or if she did do the AP I was wondering about LToW for 10th.  I wonder how much output/weekly load the LToW class actually has?  I really want to know about the level of feedback.  This kid needs intense feedback from someone who is not me.  And if she has an online class, it just has to have a live component.

Am I understanding correctly that LToW is writing only?  Lit would be separate?

Can't help regarding the online classes, but Circe is also doing a number of live, 2-day student workshops in various locations this summer.  My three children and I just attended one up in Sacramento a couple of weeks ago.  I think it's a good way to either get a jump on using LToW oneself, or to get a much better idea of what exactly LToW is and how it approaches writing.

You can see where workshops will be offered on the Events Calendar on the Circe site.  If there isn't one in your area, I'd contact Circe & see if you could organize one.

LToW is writing only, but it can be applied to writing about any work of literature or any other type of writing, for that matter.

I have no affiiliation w/ Circe/LToW; I just love their approach to writing.

I was planning to use Lively Art of Writing with WriteGuide and writing across the curriculum next year for 8th. That combo worked really well for my older two kids in 8th. I'm not sure what we'll do for 9th. I was thinking about doing some kind of Geography for social studies in 9th, and dd expressed some interest in AP Human Geography, and if she did that, I'd want a fairly light English Writing year, as that course seems to have a lot of writing (even though it says it's not "writing intensive" - I gather that means "for an AP"). But I'm really not sure that she'll be up for that class by 9th (even though it seems like a lot of kids take it then) - she will have to significantly increase her reading stamina. That's something we'll be working on a lot next year - we'll reevaluate after that.

If she took a lighter and less writing intensive Geography that year, then LToW could be a very interesting option for 9th, or if she did do the AP I was wondering about LToW for 10th. I wonder how much output/weekly load the LToW class actually has? I really want to know about the level of feedback. This kid needs intense feedback from someone who is not me. And if she has an online class, it just has to have a live component.

Am I understanding correctly that LToW is writing only? Lit would be separate?

It's writing only but I am combining it with LLWLOTR for a complete English. I've heard it takes about 45-1hr per day for the workload. I think dd can handle that with her workload next year in 8th. Not sure about 9th yet but I'm not done planning that yet.

Can't help regarding the online classes, but Circe is also doing a number of live, 2-day student workshops in various locations this summer. My three children and I just attended one up in Sacramento a couple of weeks ago. I think it's a good way to either get a jump on using LToW oneself, or to get a much better idea of what exactly LToW is and how it approaches writing.

You can see where workshops will be offered on the Events Calendar on the Circe site. If there isn't one in your area, I'd contact Circe & see if you could organize one.

LToW is writing only, but it can be applied to writing about any work of literature or any other type of writing, for that matter.

I have no affiiliation w/ Circe/LToW; I just love their approach to writing.

Thanks for that info. There is a workshop near me next Saturday. Is that best for me or could I bring dd? Also, what would you recommend following LTOW? Straight to Corbett?

Thanks for that info. There is a workshop near me next Saturday. Is that best for me or could I bring dd? Also, what would you recommend following LTOW? Straight to Corbett?

My children participated in one of the "Student's LTW Workshops," and I sat in & observed.   I don't know if the events listed as "A Lost Tools of Writing Workshop" is for students, parents, or both. You might have to contact the organizer for the specific workshop you're looking at.

My oldest are only rising 9th graders and we've only used LToW ideas informally for a handful of essays  they've written, so I can't help with a writing path. Wish I could!

DD will take it this fall for 9th (she wasn't 14 yet to take it last year).  She is also taking the summer intensive to get ready and up to speed for fall.  They just started this last week so I don't have much feedback yet but she likes the instructor.

DD will take it this fall for 9th (she wasn't 14 yet to take it last year). She is also taking the summer intensive to get ready and up to speed for fall. They just started this last week so I don't have much feedback yet but she likes the instructor.

We may do the summer intensive too. I wanted to go to the workshop first and see if we need it. Dd will be 14 in October so I'm hoping they'll let her squeak in if this is the route we choose. Please post back on what your dd thinks about the intensive as she gets further into it.

DD will take it this fall for 9th (she wasn't 14 yet to take it last year). She is also taking the summer intensive to get ready and up to speed for fall. They just started this last week so I don't have much feedback yet but she likes the instructor.

Who is her teacher? Maybe dds are in the same class?