Menu

Singapore Mental Math

I read them aloud and DS gives me answers. An easier option is to let him look at them but I read them so he practices holding numbers in his head. There are answer pages for them in the HIG if you don't feel like doing them in your head.

I don't know anything about the flash cards.

I check at the beginning of the year how many of pages of mental math there are and divide that by the number of weeks we are doing school. Generally it works out to 1-2 pages of mental math a week. If it's a harder page we may spread one page out over two days. I say the problem to them and they give me the answer. They can look at it while I'm reading if it helps them.

I write out 7 problems each day on a lined whiteboard. (The whiteboard has 7 lines, that's the only reason I do 7). DD does them first thing in the am as we transition into "school time". She's often finishing up the last bites of her breakfast as she wanders over to the table and starts looking at the questions. She writes down the answers and we go over them together.

We do this every morning. Sometimes in certain books with lots of mental math sheets (2B has 43, IIRC) we can get a bit behind but i don't think it's a big deal. The extra review and refresher on how to do those types of questions has been good.

In the Standards Edition of PM, the HiG has the mental math in the back in neat little strips you can copy and cut apart.  The mental math exercise number is noted in a lesson when it is intended to be used.  In the older HiGs for US Edition I don't think it lists where to use each mental math exercise.  When the HiG suggests a mental math exercise I decide if we need the practice - if we don't then we don't do it, but if we do need the practice I give the student the mental math exercise and let them finish it UNTIMED.

We do 10 mental math problems a day as warm-up.  I choose them going across the page, rather than down the columns, to get a mix of problem types.  I will often only pull 6 or so from the HIG and make up 4 of a specific type that DS needs practice on (rounding currently, previously I gave him 1 stacked addition and 1 stacked subtraction as part of his warm up until he had those algorithms down well).  I write them on the whiteboard and he does them independently while I put the toddler down for nap. 

We also did ten or so a day as warm-up for level 1. Sometimes, I would pull from multiple sets so there were five addition and five subtraction.

These flash cards are great. They are a wee bit flimsy, but sturdy enough, if you're the one holding them. They are all written horizontally.

41lFLgvBoqL._SP160,160,0,T_.jpg This pic isn't a good one. Click below for more views.

http://www.amazon.com/First-Grade-Math-Flashcards/dp/0307945472/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1401796311&sr=8-4&keywords=sylvan+flash+math