Menu

My daughter has hair to donate. How do we go about it?

SKL

Do a search for "hair donation." You'll get lots of results. Pick the one you want to give it to; there will be instructions on the website. Do look at their requirements--it must be a certain minimum length, cannot be gray (probably not a problem with your daughter's hair ;) ), usually cannot have been bleached, etc. Most places have a form for you to print out and complete, then put it in an envelope and mail it.

Locks of Love is the most well known place. Last time I donated, I gave it to Wigs For Kids instead.

For future reference, many salons will cut hair for free or a reduced price if you're donating it.

ETA: I really hope she put it in a ponytail or braid, as loose hair usually isn't accepted.

I'm glad I asked - here and in another forum.  I've heard the same thing about Locks of Love, and people prefer either Wigs for Kids or Pantene. So I'll do some web research on those to organizations.

Someone elsewhere suggested Children With Hair Loss.  Anyone here heard of them?  They will accept hair that is over 8", while wigs for kids requires 12".  One of my kid's sections is just slightly less than 12".  :(