Menu

If you have a Geography focus (7th grade)

do you drop history for the year? Please help me think this through.

My original plan was to do MP's Ancient World, Ancient Greeks for history, MP's Exploring Planet Earth and Geography along with Mapping by Art. Realizing (with some help from you all:) that Planet Earth would not be enough science (even though MP thinks it is:P) I've decided to do Elemental Science Earth Science.  I would add in biographies and living books that go along with the topics studied. Is that "enough"? Can I just drop the history and feel like my boys are still getting an excellent education? 

We've covered the history cycle and that is one of the reasons I decided to focus on Geography but then I got sucked into adding the history back in again anyway! Ugh!  Any suggestions would be so helpful as I need to work on my objectives for next year and get them submitted to the school district so that is off of my plate. 

Thanks in advance!

Edited to add: We will also being doing Current Events more intentionally. 

For DD13, we did a year of world geography this year for 7th grade. She had started "off-cycle" with history, so I chose to do geography this year and state studies next year so she could drop back into the cycle again in ninth grade.

We just did geography (using a ps text book and maps) - I did not add in any history until she had finished the geography and we started US Presidents to get a head start on next year. It seemed like doing just geography was plenty of material for us.

I cover geography every year integrated within history. It's important, so it gets covered constantly in various ways here.

That being said, one of my favorite resources is Holt World Geography. I do have plans to cover it in more depth and I've decided to use it in 7th.

In 4th grade, my youngest did a year of geography with a very modified WP CATW. This year, during fifth, he used World Geography and You volume 2 Eastern Hemisphere alongside ancient history. Next year, in sixth, he will use World Geography and You volume 1 Western Hemisphere while studying Western Civ from the fall of Rome through the Seven Years' War. In seventh, we will cover world history from the Seven Years' War through modern history and geography will be covered in context. In eighth grade, we will study US History and geography.

FWIW- I also really like the Holt World Geography text (or I did many years ago when my now 23yo used it. I think maybe for freshman geography?). The way I remember it the Holt text was plenty to use as a stand alone course.

Whatever you decide to use, I think a year of Earth Science and World Geography sounds like a lot of fun. :) it is not a bad decision to take a year off of history and focus on world culture, world art, and physical and political geography. Also, in doing so, you may be surprised at how much history you cover!

Mandy

I will have an 8th grader and a 6th grader next year, and we're taking a year off from history to focus on geography (and more science at their request). I have Mapping the World with Art as one resource, but am looking to add in more. I'll have to look at the Holt World Geography text! I was also thinking about Runkle, but am not sure yet.

I am doing a year of geography also.  Thought we would do Mapping the world with Art from Ellen McHenry and not sure what else..

Really I am just trying to wrap up this year! lol

Interested in what others have to say!

Yes!  I've taken a year off from our history cycling twice now and I loved it both times!

First, it was absolutely invigorating to me as a teacher to stir the creative/academic juices and do something other than history for a year.  Also, we use Veritas Press which follows a five-year cycle so when the oldest finished the cycle in 6th, we took his 7th grade to cover world geography.  I did that again with two of my boys when they were in 6th and 8th grade.  I really appreciated having the time to study cultural, physical and political geography and I think it laid a solid foundation for high school studies.

I'm not crazy about geography offerings but what works for us is:

1. Mapping the World by Heart (expensive for what you get; it's a great concept, but a shell of a curriculum that needs a lot of fleshing out.  If you can find it inexpenive and used, recommended.)

2. Runkle Geography, both the text and student book.  The text is really physical geography.  The student text covers political geography and could be used separately from the hardback text.  It has great mnemonics to remember the countries.  

I added in different books and worksheets and fun activities that we found.  One resource we really like is Window on the World, from a Christian worldview and highlights different countries or people groups.  Gorgeous pictures and great for the 6th and under crowd. 

I'll definitely (Lord, willing) take a year exclusively for World Geography when my youngest two reach the middle years. Looking forward to it!