Menu

Artes Latinae/Latin Prep

JennyD

I am looking for a Latin program for my just-turned-9yo DS.  We're coming to the end of GSWL and I've been looking closely at samples of Latin Prep and Artes Latinae.  I think that my son would enormously appreciate the 'tone' of the LP books, but it also seems -- to my inexpert eye -- as though the two programs approach the material rather differently, and in that regard I'm tentatively leaning towards AL.

However, I obviously haven't used either one of these programs, and my own Latin experience (prior to restarting with DS) is all in the dim and distant past, so I'd be very grateful for any feedback on how the two programs compare.  

Furthermore,  for anyone who has used Artes Latinae, did you prefer the computer program or the traditional book/CD format?  I have a (probably at least partly irrational) bias against computer-based instruction, and working through the sample of the AL DVD did not particularly change my mind on this score, but OTOH I could certainly see how an all-in-one-DVD might be preferable to coordinating all of the program's numerous moving parts.  

We've never used Latin Prep, but Great Girl learned to read Latin well from Artes Latinae. We use the CD-ROMs, but that's just the still "frames" from the workbook - non-moving black-and-white line drawings, with dashes for typing in the letters - coordinated with the sound from the tapes. I've never seen the DVDs and had assumed the DVD format was no different from the CD-ROM format; but it sounds like there is a difference. Because the CD-ROM only combines the workbook and tapes in a convenient way, with better sound quality (I don't care for computer learning, either, but AL barely qualifies in this format); the reader, teacher's guide, and test booklets are all separate.

We've never used Latin Prep, but Great Girl learned to read Latin well from Artes Latinae. We use the CD-ROMs, but that's just the still "frames" from the workbook - non-moving black-and-white line drawings, with dashes for typing in the letters - coordinated with the sound from the tapes. I've never seen the DVDs and had assumed the DVD format was no different from the CD-ROM format; but it sounds like there is a difference. Because the CD-ROM only combines the workbook and tapes in a convenient way, with better sound quality (I don't care for computer learning, either, but AL barely qualifies in this format); the reader, teacher's guide, and test booklets are all separate.

Thanks for your post -- very helpful.   I went back and looked more closely at the Bolchazy site, it looks as though the DVD is in fact identical to the CD-ROM format (albeit with "easier navigation and [a] seamless learning experience").  The other materials are still all separate.  

It's $159 for the Level 1 package in traditional format; $297 for the DVD version.  I'd be buying this for the oldest of three kids, but still, yowza.   How IS that sound quality on the traditional CDs, do you happen to know?

Latin Prep and Artes Latinae are quite different programs.

Latin Prep is fine for a young kid for an introduction. It's parts to whole, gentle, appeals to younger learners, and has a bit of adapted Latin reading. If you follow up Latin Prep with the So You Really Want To Learn Latin series, you'll cover most of Latin grammar by the end of SYRWTLL 3. It will get you to the point where you're ready for the NLE 3, but not for the SAT 2 Latin test. After SYRWTLL, you'd want to move on to a good Latin 3/4 reading course to firm up and practice grammar and to gain experience in reading Latin before taking an advanced course.

Artes Latinae is a full-blown high school Latin program. It starts out gently in the first book of level 1, but builds up quickly by level 2 (which might be too much, too soon for a young kid).  Both my son and I learned Latin very well through AL. We used the old version with cassette tapes (found it used on sale cheap!) so I can't help you with your questions about the DVDs. The pronunciation on the tapes was fine in my opinion, though. Artes Latinae is more whole to parts, will take you through all of Latin grammar with lots of practice, and has many authentic Latin passages from a variety of authors for translation. For example, by the time you're done with Level 2, you'll have read much of Caesar in unadapted prose, unlike Henle 2's adapted Caesar.

If you do choose to start AL young, be sure to take your time. I'd advise using all of the components mentioned by Violet Crown: teacher's manual, test book, reference notebook, and the readers. We started when ds was 11 yo and spent four years going through the program thoroughly, memorizing grammar and vocabulary lists along the way. We took each test and didn't move on without a high 90s score. Lack of a good working vocab or having to constantly look up grammar rules will kill you at higher levels. Like Violet Crown's daughter, AL prepared my son to read any Latin author, and he went on to succeed at AP Latin after AL.

Good luck in your choice.

Thanks so much for taking the time to write all that out, Kathy.  It's so very useful to hear from folks like you and Violet Crown who have actually gone all the way through some of these programs with your kids.  

Thanks for your post -- very helpful. I went back and looked more closely at the Bolchazy site, it looks as though the DVD is in fact identical to the CD-ROM format (albeit with "easier navigation and [a] seamless learning experience"). The other materials are still all separate.

It's $159 for the Level 1 package in traditional format; $297 for the DVD version. I'd be buying this for the oldest of three kids, but still, yowza. How IS that sound quality on the traditional CDs, do you happen to know?

Better than I imagine it is on a tape after you've played and rewound the same segment a dozen times. Seriously, given how many times one wants to hear the "teacher" repeating a phrase or paradigm, I can't imagine using a cassette recording. [ETA: Though apparently it worked fine for Kathy in Richmond, so who am I to say?]

Used to be, Bolchazy-Carducci offered an annual $100 coupon for AL in their e-newsletter (subscription free). Since they started offering their new Latin program, the coupons have apparently stopped; but I have heard that a little polite interest by telephone may have resulted in a personal discount for someone I might know. Can't hurt to ask. That said, I paid full price for both levels ten years ago, and never regretted the expense. Great Girl at 15 audited a Virgil class here at Big State University which required three years of high school Latin as a pre-req, and discovered that the "two year" AL course fully equipped her for the course and put her ahead of nearly all the other kids.

And now I'm using it with Middle Girl, for whom it's working very well.

YMMV.

[ETA again: Okay, I swear the last time I looked, the choice was DVDs or workbook and cassette tapes. But now I see it's workbook and CD. Dang, I would have gone for that option back in 2003. But is that only for level 1?]

It looks like there are CDs for both 1 and 2.  Cassette tapes would be a nonstarter, I have to agree.  

Calling them is a great idea.  We're going to go with AL (taking seriously Kathy's admonition to go slowly, of course) but before I pull the trigger I think I'll at least give them a call and ask if they maybe have any sales coming up.

Thanks again for all the help.