Menu

STEM ideas for day camp? Help please.

Loowit

I am running a day camp for cub scouts - kids in 1st through 5th grade and my program director is have a hard time coming up with ideas for our STEM station.  I was wondering if anyone here had any great, inexpensive or free, ideas for us.  Each station is 40 minutes long.  The camp is outside, with covered shelters and picnic tables and has very limited electrical outlets.  The campers will be split into groups 1st grade, 2nd & 3rd grade, and 4th & 5th grade.  We are trying to make the stations age appropriate for each group, so the older boys would get to do something a bit harder than the little guys.  We would like to keep things within our camp theme of Wild West, but it doesn't have to be. Any suggestion are greatly appreciated.

Check out The Private Eye. I just got the book, but I'm betting you could find information online.  All you'd need to purchase is a jeweler's loupe (less than $10) and some paper/pens/pencils (assuming the kids have access to things to look at like their hands, food items, plants, bugs, etc.).