Menu

after Jacobs elementary algebra

So i have jacobs and have decided to go thru it with my son. we did TT alg I last year and i feel he just needed more review in a few areas. could we successfully go on to saxon algebra 2 after completing Jacob's?

sorry for poor typing..im using my phone.

Jacobs Algebra is an *amazing* algebra text; however, if you're wanting to use Saxon Algebra II, I've heard that it's best to start with Saxon Algebra I.  I'm sure someone with experience with the upper level Saxon books will chime in here.  As another option, we found that Lial's Intermediate Algebra worked well after Jacobs.  And a lot of people like the Foerster Algebra II book as well.

Yes, Saxon does embed geometry into both alg books. I've also heard it's a bad idea to start Saxon's alg+ books mid-stream.

Lial and Foerster are good alg 2 options. Jacobs also has a good geometry book, though I recall some edition change issues. Old threads here should have that info.

My DD/rising 9th is finishing up Foerster's alg 1, will use Discovering Geometry (Serra) this fall, and Foerster's alg 2 for 10th.

DS did Jacob's algebra then went on to Teaching Textbooks Geometry and then tried Saxon Alg. 2, but it wasn't a match. He tried it for 1/2 the book, then switched temporarily to TT and settled on Life of Fred Advanced Algebra, which he enjoys and is covering all of the typical Alg. 2 topics. 

If you know you want to go to Saxon Alg 2, why not do Saxon Alg 1?

Changing between conventional programs (e.g. doing jacobs alg and then foerster or chalkdust for alg 2) is unlikely to cause issues, but I'd prefer not to switch back and forth between programs with such a different scope, sequence, and teaching style.

Several sources I'm reading say the high school geometry in Saxon starts in Algebra 2 and continues in Advanced Mathematics. 

If you know you want to go to Saxon Alg 2, why not do Saxon Alg 1?

Changing between conventional programs (e.g. doing jacobs alg and then foerster or chalkdust for alg 2) is unlikely to cause issues, but I'd prefer not to switch back and forth between programs with such a different scope, sequence, and teaching style.

only because I already own Jacob's and I'd like to use and so far we're working through it pretty quickly and doing a lot of it orally and white board.

Hmmm, more pondering....

Several sources I'm reading say the high school geometry in Saxon starts in Algebra 2 and continues in Advanced Mathematics. 

only because I already own Jacob's and I'd like to use and so far we're working through it pretty quickly and doing a lot of it orally and white board.

Hmmm, more pondering....

Nothing wrong with that, but in that case I'd prefer to stick with traditional programs if they're working well. Is there a reason you really want to do Saxon for Algebra 2?

You might PM Jann in TX -- she's taught out of Saxon for a long time and generally (if I recall) recommends against switching into it after Algebra 1.

kiana - Kind of wanting to do Saxon to get on a more traditional path and one that I don't have to research every year! (Can you say lazy?)  I also like that I could use the DIVE CDs if needed. 

If we don't go with Saxon, I'll have to research (aka agonize) each year over Lial's or Foerster's or Jacob's Geometry and we will miss something important by jumping around between curriculum providers.   

ugh!  I've never liked the idea of Saxon but now that I've got 4 kids to school and plan for, there is a beauty to just "doing the next thing" and those DIVD CDs.....

My oldest used Saxon all the way through Calculus. My middle daughter switched from Saxon to Jacob's for Alg I and Geometry and will use Foerster for Alg II next year. I personally wouldn't hesitate switching her back to Saxon for Alg II if she hadn't gotten tired of Saxon. There is so much review built into every problem set. Anything unfamiliar could probably be learned in a day or two through Khan Academy videos, etc.

Saxon is a great choice if you want your student to be able to do a lot of the lessons independently. The DIVE CDs really make that doable for many students. My oldest only read the lesson in the book, never used the DIVE videos and my youngest preferred watching the DIVE videos and never read the lessons.

kiana - Kind of wanting to do Saxon to get on a more traditional path and one that I don't have to research every year! (Can you say lazy?)  I also like that I could use the DIVE CDs if needed. 

If we don't go with Saxon, I'll have to research (aka agonize) each year over Lial's or Foerster's or Jacob's Geometry and we will miss something important by jumping around between curriculum providers.   

ugh!  I've never liked the idea of Saxon but now that I've got 4 kids to school and plan for, there is a beauty to just "doing the next thing" and those DIVD CDs.....

At the high school level, most of the traditional-style, older textbooks cover virtually identical scope and sequence, so there isn't so much of a worry about "gaps" when switching between Lial, Foerster, or Jacobs. Due to integrated Algebra/Geometry, Saxon has a different sequence, so there is some potential for gaps if switching late in the game back to Saxon from something else.

Lial, Foerster and Jacobs are traditional style explanations; each is laid out so that you just "do the next thing"; have several levels so you can do them for more than just one year/level of math; and they all have visual tutorials. So whatever you go with you'll be fine. :)

Lial

texts: Pre-Algebra; Algebra 1 ("Introductory Algebra"); Algebra 2 ("Intermediate Algebra"); Geometry;  Pre-Calculus

video tutorial supplement: Digital Video Tutor

Foerster

texts:Algebra 1; Algebra 2; Pre-Calc with Trig

video tutorial supplement: Math Without Borders DVD (also has DVD for Geometry: A Guided Inquiry by Chakerian, Crabill & Stein)

Jacobs

texts: Algebra 1, Geometry (2nd or 3rd ed.)

video tutorial supplement: Dr. Callahan DVD lessons