Menu

Concussion effects - a year later

PrincessMommy

My dh was in a car accident last July and got a concussion.  He still doesn't remember anything from the accident or just after.  I've noticed that his patience is worse than it used to be - but really only in the last few months has it become noticeable.   It's not horrible, but it seems to be getting a little worse with time.   Could that be a symptom of the concussion even though it seems delayed?   Could it be age related? (He's nearly 60).    I'm concerned because, if it's a little worse now, and then a little more worse in a year... and so on.  Yeah, it's scaring me.  

Do things related to a concussion get progressively worse?  Or should I be looking at something else?  He's always been rather mellow-dramatic/ drama queen... not the calm/"steady-Freddy" type (I'm the phlegmatic one).  So, the fact that he over-reacts to a situation isn't totally unusual - it's just that before it didn't usually come out as anger.

It was a side-impact injury - if that makes any difference to the medical people here. 

My son had a side impact injury, and had post concussive issues; sleep issues, headaches, and grumpiness. He is fine now, but is still taking medication and seeing a neurologist twice a year He was hit in the head by a soccer ball about four years ago.

How scary!  So glad he is fine now.  

OP, I should have sent hugs with my earlier post.  Having odd chills here and just didn't think.  Hugs.  And hoping you can get answers.   :grouphug:

It's not age related.  It could be any number of medical issues.   You should go with him to a doctor's appointment and explain what you're seeing. They'll probably do some blood tests, memory tests, coordination tests, and possibly a few brain scans (CT, MRI, depending on what the doctor notices). 

Make sure he's well hydrated and getting enough sleep. You might consider adding coconut oil to his diet (there have been preliminary & anecdotal reports that it can help brain issues).