Menu

CPO physical science users, please!

Hi,

I really really like the looks of this program, but....the labs look awfully expensive!!  I do have some equipment, but it looks like I would have to purchase alot of stuff.  I am wondering if those who have used this course if you did all the experiments in the book, what equipment you thought was most necessary, and if you did alternate experiments, what were they??  I know I am asking a lot, especially at a busy time of the season.  But I just haven't found anything else that I really like.  I will also be doing this with another family.  I have also thought of offering to do a "class" and open it up to other kids in our city.  (Just one of those "thoughts")

Thank you for any comment or suggestions!!!

pam

We didn't do the labs for the physical science book, so I'm no help there. Actually, we didn't even make it through the book. We liked CPO Life and CPO Earth, but we didn't like the physical science book as much. I think my dd had outgrown the series. Also, the presentation of some of the concepts seemed incomplete and/or unclear.

YMMV. :)

Didn't use Physical Science, but we did use CPO Physics: A First Course (listed as for 8th-10th grades).  We only bought the Energy Car/Ramp and the Photogates and Timers.  I split the cost with a friend, and we did the labs together.  We are going to reuse the materials for our younger kids.  Actually, this time we're going to hire a teacher to run the labs.  We're planning to sell the materials when we're done (probably to the teacher we hired).

The rest of the labs were easy to substitute items for the CPO materials.  The Car/Ramp and Photogates & Timers are used for a large number of labs, and while you could substitute, having them made doing the labs both easy and effective, so I felt it was worth it, especially with the cost sharing and reusing for youngers.  The books themselves are very inexpensive, and there are loads of extra materials free on the webiste (I made heavy use of the Skill Sheets).