Menu

Writing - Is there a book like this?

For 10th grade English next year, I want to start DD on writing, forming, and identifying arguments.  I am definitely purchasing Everything's an Argument by Lunsford. 

However, DD is not very good right now at seeing the opposite side of an argument, which I consider a hugely important life skill!  So I would like her to have some exercises in writing both sides of an argument.  Is there any book that would go along with that or be a good resource for that?

Thanks!

I just don't think high schoolers have enough life experience to see the various points of view that people of the world are passionate about, whatever program they use.  I would think reading articles or maybe letters to the editor or the opinion page might help? 

Julie

I just don't think high schoolers have enough life experience to see the various points of view that people of the world are passionate about, whatever program they use.  I would think reading articles or maybe letters to the editor or the opinion page might help? 

Julie

That is one of the reasons I like the Workbook I linked above. For each exercise they list about 10 examples. Each example is pulled from a real source - and each source is cited. So it can also help when looking at the quality of each argument. 

That is one of the reasons I like the Workbook I linked above. For each exercise they list about 10 examples. Each example is pulled from a real source - and each source is cited. So it can also help when looking at the quality of each argument. 

Hmm, sounds interesting, too bad my youngest is graduating this year LOL.

My first thought was Lost Tools of Writing, but it is  expensive if you are just using it as a supplement.  I"m really glad that I own it, though.

Here are some similar questions.  If she is disciplined about going through these, it should help her come up with the other sides(and more for her side).  It amazes me what more will come to mind going through questions like these vs. just thinking without this direction.

https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/673/03/

HTH,

Kendall