Menu

Advice from BTDT Lost Tools of Writing Users

We did the persuasive essay part of LTOW this year. I had the DVDS, too, which I watched. I found it very useful to present the lesson myself and work through the invention with him. Since it is a method of thinking through issues, I easily "slid" invention topics into our lit discussion.

If taking a class were an option, I would choose that.  It was a good bit of work for me to learn the program up front (which I thought was necessary and I also recommend) but once I got the hang of it, it was fine.

I would begin with a Circe class, and I would choose that over MP logic if you need to make a choice about online commitments. You can easily do MP logic with their print materials. Dd and I worked through Logic I in a semester and called only two times for a bit of help.

I would begin with a Circe class, and I would choose that over MP logic if you need to make a choice about online commitments. You can easily do MP logic with their print materials. Dd and I worked through Logic I in a semester and called only two times for a bit of help.

Yes, I agree.  I'm an IEW teacher (paid classes), and I found it a little hard going until I watched the DVDs.  

In general, I prefer writing classes anyway if you can swing it.  My DC benefited from being in a class.  They wrote better when they had to share it in class, and they both had other teachers at times who polished off edges that were unresolved when I taught them in class.  Writing is very personal, and they seemed to take criticism from other people on their work better than criticism from me.  They're fine when I grade math, science, etc., but writing is an issue for us at home.  One of mine is very comfortable now sharing drafts and talking about ideas but wants to be mostly on their own, and the other still wants to write for the teacher alone and only shares a copy with me if I ask.

We took the class with Camille Goldston, a Circe staff member.  It was an excellent class.  Renee Mathis, the other LToW I teacher is excellent as well. 

We are beginning our last year of homeschool, and at some point, I plan to bore everyone with a recap of what we have done - what worked, what didn't, etc.

LToW is on the hit parade.

1togo

Thanks 1Togo~ Could you tell many how long the class meeting are?

We took the class with Camille Goldston, a Circe staff member.  It was an excellent class.  Renee Mathis, the other LToW I teacher is excellent as well. 

We are beginning our last year of homeschool, and at some point, I plan to bore everyone with a recap of what we have done - what worked, what didn't, etc.

LToW is on the hit parade.

1togo