Menu

Quick American History for during Summer for ages 10 & 7

I am bringing my kiddo's back home this fall from PS.  I am planning on using HOD Preparing and follow through with the rest of their series for my 10yo.  She has not had much American History at all... in fact she can't really recall what exactly she is learned at school, other than a few famous people.  Preparing will give us a sweep through world history, but I feel like she needs a run through with American History since she wont get to it in a few years with HOD.  My 7yo will get plenty with HOD, but thought he could listen in as well.  I am looking for recommendations for a quick run through of American history over the summer.  Any recommendations or ideas??

I would make it a library book reading thing. Get books at her reading level and below and have a fun overview. There is a 'Dear America' series and the American Girl Doll books and plenty of elementary level history books. You could also take a look at a history encyclopedia. 

I like Edward Eggleston's A First Book in American History.  It takes you to somewhere in the beginning of the 1900's.  My kids also enjoy another of his books called Stories of Great Americans for Little Americans.  You can add in extra library books to flesh out the bigger topics.  That would give you a basic overview except for modern American history, but you could wait until they are older to cover that.

They're at just the right level to use the Abeka gr 4 history text.  It's a really nice survey of american.  If I could suggest though, you might like to consider delving in and spreading it over at least a year.  Winter Promise spreads american history for this age over 2 years.  You could do the Abeka 4 over a year and add in American Girl crafts.  I'm just saying the crafts and options for this age are AWESOME and the options for ancients will be just as good later.  You're at this beautiful window though for american, where she can still enjoy the American Girl activity books.  You could even do the AG unit study if you wanted.   :)

PS.  Have you seen the COFAs?  (COFA=childhood of famous americans series)

PPS.  Guerber is terrific, especially the redacted version MP sells.  I'd just encourage you to take your time and slow down and get into it.  

Have you looked at the books from the extension package of Bigger from HOD. If you plan on doing Bigger you may want to wait on the Eggleston book since it's used in Bigger. I was thinking about using A Child's Story of America for my ds since we've done a lot of world history and very little american and since were in the middle of Preparing it will be a while till we hit american history again.