Menu

Spectators at 5K?

songsparrow

My husband and daughter are participating in a 5K charity walk.  This is their first time participating, and I'm just wondering what non-participating family members do.  Do you hang around and wait/cheer?  Should we wait near the finish line, or go somewhere mid-course?  My mom can't stand for extended periods - should we bring folding/camp chairs?

Yes, please wait at the finish line and cheer!

Sometimes, if you know the course, you can pop up on street corners and cheer. Preferably before hills.

I don't know about the chairs. That probably depends on the course organizers, so I would check ahead on that. But for those of us who don't have particularly supportive family (my DH thinks it is beneath him to cheer and jump around like a maniac!), other spectators that are willing to cheer are really nice to hear on the course. 

It's even nicer on a long run. Where else in this world can you get complete strangers yelling at you, "You can do this!" 

when spectators moving around the course was impractical, I waited near the finish line.  (for the 3K x-cntry in high school - including some state level races, they'd rerun parts of the course and it was easy for spectators to move around to different points.)  3K races running usually took between 20 - 30 minutes.

if someone can't stand long, absolutely bring a camp chair.  and a water bottle, and snacks.

oh - and one year someone brought cowbells for cheering with and it evidently caught on because there were lots.

For something short like a 5K and with an immobile person, I'd just go to the finish line and cheer cheer cheer!  :)  I'd bring folding chairs.  Does it finish where it starts?  That's the best case scenario.