Menu

need book ideas for my almost 11-year-old

My son needs a new stock of books on the shelf. He has read just about everything I can think of, multiple times even, so I am looking for some new ideas. He loves books across all genres, so really anything goes. Any ideas of books I might not have thought to toss his way!?!?

Can you give us a little more to go on? What reading level? What sort of books has he liked in the past? Is there anything in particular you hope to achieve or avoid?

My almost-11 DS is really into the Circle of Magic books by Tamora Pierce right now. (The follow-up series, The Circle Opens, is also good for that age and I plan to get them for him soon. Most of her other books are parental discretion advised.)

Can you give us a little more to go on? What reading level? What sort of books has he liked in the past? Is there anything in particular you hope to achieve or avoid?

My almost-11 DS is really into the Circle of Magic books by Tamora Pierce right now. (The follow-up series, The Circle Opens, is also good for that age and I plan to get them for him soon. Most of her other books are parental discretion advised.)

I'm not particularly concerned with reading levels - he is an excellent reader and reads pretty much anything so long as it is age appropriate - really looking to just avoid mature adult content. Like I mentioned, he likes books across all genres, so anything goes. The obvious books have been read and enjoyed (Percy Jackson, Mysterious Benedict, Harry Potter, Half Magic, Peter and the Starcatchers, Nick of Time, etc.). I've searched through many of the threads with recommendations here and nothing new is jumping out at me. 

The Dragon and Thief series by Timothy Zahn, the Wee Free Men or Truckers series by Terry Pratchett, The Hobbit - I thought the LOTR books were too long-winded to appeal to my kid, but he loved them (he was probably 9 when he read them), The Westing Game, Agatha Christie

Fablehaven series (5) and Beyonders (3) by Brandon Mull

Series (5) by Susan Cooper (starts with Over Sea, Under Stone)

The Great Brain series (5 or 6) by John Fitzgerald

Books by Gary Paulsen (Hatchet, etc.)

Books by Madeleine L'Engle (Wind in the Door, etc.)

Swiss Family Robinson, Treasure Island, Adventures of Tom Sawyer (and other Tom Sawyer books)

Phantom Tollbooth, Where the Red Fern Grows, Summer of the Monkeys