Menu

Runkle Geography

I don't know why this is frustrating me, probably because I'm upset about something else.  Anyway....

I am attempting to plan out "Welcome to the Wonderful World of Geography" by  Brenda Runkle for next school year.

This is my dilema, don't laugh. 

My school year is 36 weeks long.  There are 44 lessons.

I know earth shattering isn't it.

Now I have to figure how which weeks to double up on.

Any suggestions?  Where there easier lessons that I should tag with another lesson?

Or should I just take the available days and divide it by 44 lessons.

ex: 180 days divided by 44 lessons gives us approx. 4 days per lesson.

Totally earth shattering decision, I know.  Please just tell me which one you would do.  I have to go and do barn chores now.

I'm in Canada.  So, I would be calling this "World Geography" on the high school transcript.   So more of an Earth Science credit I guess.  By looking at the textbook, I know it covers more than my older kids ever did in Geography at the high school level, so I wasn't planning on adding anything to it.

For the Canadian Geography I'll be using

http://teachers.scholarschoice.ca/catalog/product/view/id/117050/s/the-key-geography-9-academic-cgc1d/category/4425/

Just for interest sake, below there are a couple of the Ontario course codes for geography.  As a homeschooler in Ontario, I am not required to stick to these but I do consider them a basic guideline.  I will be using the Canadian Geography book that I posted above just because I am struggling to find a Canadian Geography high school course.  We love geography in our home so it's easy to get my kids interested in anything geo related.

Geography of Canada, Grade 9, Academic (CGC1D)   This course explores Canada’s distinct and changing character and the geographic systems and relationships that shape it. Students will investigate the interactions of natural and human systems within Canada, as well as Canada’s economic, cultural, and environmental connections to other countries. Students will use a variety of geotechnologies and inquiry and communication methods to analyse and evaluate geographic issues and present their findings. Prerequisite: None                         Physical Geography: Patterns, Processes and Interactions, Grade 11, (CGF3M)     This course examines the major patterns of physical geography and the powerful forces that affect them. Students will investigate the dynamic nature of the earth, the evolving relationship between the planet and its people, and the factors that limit our ability to predict the changes that will occur. Students will use a wide range of geotechnologies and inquiry methods to investigate the distribution and interaction of the elements of their physical environment and to communicate their findings.         Prerequisite: Grade 9 Geography of Canada, Academic or Applied

Ok, I think I've figured this out.

180 days of school.

Subtract 9 for Chapter tests.  Now we have 171 days left.

Subtract 3 days per lesson (44 lessons, so we need to subtract 132 days) so now we have 39 days left.

Of the 44 lessons, 8 have no map activities, which means there are 36 lessons with map activities so each of those lessons gets an extra day so that brings us down to 3 days extra.

Makes sense? :confused1:

Ok, I hope this works out.  Now to enter it into my Excel worksheet, then research which days I will assign the review questions so I can cross that over to my IEW program so I can assign corresponding writing assignments to sync up IEW with the Geo program.  Clear as mud!? Good. LOL

180 days of school.

Subtract 9 for Chapter tests. Now we have 171 days left.

Subtract 3 days per lesson (44 lessons, so we need to subtract 132 days) so now we have 39 days left.

Of the 44 lessons, 8 have no map activities, which means there are 36 lessons with map activities so each of those lessons gets an extra day so that brings us down to 3 days extra.

Ok, I hope this works out. Now to enter it into my Excel worksheet, then research which days I will assign the review questions so I can cross that over to my IEW program so I can assign corresponding writing assignments to sync up IEW with the Geo program. Clear as mud!? Good. LOL

Negotiating curriculum is like a homeschool mom super power.

180 days of school.

Subtract 9 for Chapter tests.  Now we have 171 days left.

Of the 44 lessons, 8 have no map activities, which means there are 36 lessons with map activities so each of those lessons gets an extra day so that brings us down to 3 days extra.

Ok, I hope this works out.  Now to enter it into my Excel worksheet, then research which days I will assign the review questions so I can cross that over to my IEW program so I can assign corresponding writing assignments to sync up IEW with the Geo program.  Clear as mud!? Good. LOL

Wow! You are very good! If I end up using this program eventually, I will refer back to your plan!