Menu

Fun educational-style music for road trip--that won't drive mom insane?

I am trying to load up my dd4's IPod with new materials to help keep her busy during long flights and drives. I have a ton of audio books, SOTW, silly songs, etc., but she absolutely adores 'learning music.' I am all for that, except that much of it is absolutely dreadful😖

I have to be able to withstand the trauma. She loves Peter Weatherall math and science materials, Lyrical Science, Song School Spanish type stuff...and she can listen to old-school science songs like Tom Lehrer for hours. She sings all the CC skip-counting songs daily until I want to scream, like they are nursery rhymes, lol...as well as some she makes up herself.

So this album by Shelley Murley has been one of her favorites for a couple of years. It is Montessori-style, general (so has a song on planets, states, Canadian Provinces, day/time, continents, oceans, etc.) It is calm, peaceful, and reasonably nice to listen to! I NEED more of it!

Anyone have any favorites similar? Suggestions for something new?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0019W16J2?pc_redir=1399542598&robot_redir=1

Do you have Snacktime by Bare Naked Ladies? I love it as much as my kids do. Listen to the non-alphabet song, A is for Aisle. They Might Be Giants are always good - Here Come the ABCs or Here Come the 123s or Here Comes Science. All Wound Up by Cathy Fink and Brave Combo is an amazing kid CD, but not specifically educational. 

I totally agree. Children's music can be painful, but shouldn't have to be!

Some fun travel music to throw in between the skip counting...

OkeeDokee Brothers' Can You Canoe album--it's fun, adventurous, and well done -- I love it, and I'm a music mom. Listening to Rosita the Skeeta 20 times in a row IS obnoxious.

Martin, Medeski, and Wood's Lets Go Everywhere album-- fun fun fun and lots of locations to find on a map in the song of the same title.

Stella

http://www.learninggamesforkids.com/science_songs.html

There are some wonderful songs here. I think it would be possible to put them onto an ipod or burn them onto CDs. The original, slower version of The Sun is a Mass is on there and it's a favorite here.

Dh remembers his third grade teacher playing these on vinyl records for the class.

Catherine-

Many of the songs there are some of Tom Lehrer's best! When I was pregnant with my dd I stumbled upon a site where a guy had found all the original Lehrer vinyls in his parent's attic and put converted them to mp3. I downloaded them and played them for dd even in the womb because we are science nuts like that:)

Sadly, the guy was forced to remove them from his site. I get it...but I hate that so many kids will miss out on SO many great science songs. A week doesn't go by when we haven't listened to them. Between tem and Peter Weatherall, my dd4 is a science song junkie!

If anybody finds a complete Tom Lehrer science songs link, post it please!

Beethovens wig CDs are fun--listen to classical music and learn about composers. Some songs are silly and not so educational though. It's a mix. My kids love them!

Also agreeing on the Classical Kids series which are stories and music based on the life of one composer. We love them all, but Mozart is our fave!

Catherine-

Many of the songs there are some of Tom Lehrer's best! When I was pregnant with my dd I stumbled upon a site where a guy had found all the original Lehrer vinyls in his parent's attic and put converted them to mp3. I downloaded them and played them for dd even in the womb because we are science nuts like that:)

Sadly, the guy was forced to remove them from his site. I get it...but I hate that so many kids will miss out on SO many great science songs. A week doesn't go by when we haven't listened to them. Between tem and Peter Weatherall, my dd4 is a science song junkie!

If anybody finds a complete Tom Lehrer science songs link, post it please!

I know the site you mean-it's where dh originally found and burned onto CDs several albums' worth of these science songs from the 1950s and 1960s. I was looking for that one to link for you-too bad it is taken down.