Menu

Two weeks of anything-goes learning - what would YOU do?

DS 14 has finished up his year-long science class, as well as his writing class. With this found time we want a break from routine and some fun, intense learning.

Please share your favorite short courses that could be enjoyably completed (or intensely initiated) within a few weeks. What would YOU dive into if you had a couple of weeks to spare?

-He is a voracious, college-level reader who loves travel, fantasy, sci-fi and history.

-He reads and speaks Latin and German at an intro level.

But we are open to absolutely anything!

My DS is in a similar situation. He is an avid martial artist; he is researching the history of different martial arts.

Things I would enjoy myself:

- immerse myself in a certain historical period, listen to TC lectures and read biographies of people in that period

- finally watch the TC lecture series on geology I have bought but not watched

- go on a reading binge and read several works from a favorite author/ favorite period

- do a language intensive and watch a film in the foreign language with sub titles every day

- find a performance of a play or opera and prepare by reading up on it. listening to a recording/watching a video, culminating in the live event

- start a creative writing project

We have done a lot of history-led travel over the past two years. None in the cards for the next few weeks.

We do go to China in June, though - we could start in on a China-themed history unit! Ideas welcome.

We have decided to use this time, in part, to gather digital photos from all our trips to create a travelogue/blog. This will be a nice coda to our two homeschool years - he goes to high school in the fall (sniff...).

We are also going to do a geography unit, including Mapping the World by Art. This will link up to our travelogue.

And: go to the library and pull off the shelves piles of books to just read, read, read.

I have more than 2 weeks, more like a summer, but I plan on having a Shakespeaeran summer immersion. Of course, DD will be joining me, but first I need some help by reading How To Teach Your Children Shakespeare by Ken Ludwig. There should be a few free plays in the park this summer.