Menu

Secular History for 5th Grader

Guest aaroncampbell

Guest aaroncampbell

Our son was in a private school through third grade, then we moved and there were no good schools near us. We decided to go with K12 thinking that having a teacher as a backup would be helpful. It turned out to actully make things more difficult, so next year we're going to homeschool.

The choices in curriculum are overwhelming. We went to a homeschool conference here in OKC, and looked at tons of choices. There are quite a few good options out there, but we had a hard time finding science (thanks to all the help with my other question, we think we have that now) and history that is non-religious. I find that the religious curriculums are really slanted in these two subjects.

Does anyone have suggestions for secular history curriculum? It looks like most places say that a 5th grader should be doing American History?

I found the same issues for history and science. Especially since we are religious, but not christian. So I "made" my own using the WTM model for 5th covering the middle ages. I used several History Encyclopedias, some non fiction books, some fiction and some documenteries. I also used lots of web resources (BBC has quite a bit of history for kids). (I really should type that up neatly, huh?) Lots of reading, narration and some projects (we are not that crafty, but catapults and the like were fun). If your kid likes there are lapbooks out there you could do. (homeschoolshare might be a source).

For 6th I am moving to Human Odyssey vol.2. Depending on your 5th grader you could try spreading out vol 1 for 5th/6th and then vol 2 for 7th and then (like I am doing) an 8th grade year of american history using Hakim. Then you would be ready to do a full 4 year cycle in high school.

I personally found some volumes of SOTW slanted and not actually secular.

I would look at K12's history on its own, Joy Hakim's History of US or History Odyssey.  I think the Hakim series is perfect for 5th grade.

I do think SOTW is basically secular, but it's not always a perfect fit for logic stage anyway.  I'm fond of an older spine called Builders of the Old World as well if the OP wants to look at alternate spines for the first half of world history.

Hakim for US history. I'll probably get the guides, and rent the books if I can't find them cheap.

If I come into money I will be getting the Oxford University Press series for ancient history. Since I probably won't be gifted 300$ for one subject, I will try to pick them up used, and I can get them through the library. My library allows for 4 weeks, and one renewal for an additional 4, so I may work with that.