Menu

Modern/SOTW4 with youngers

profmom

How young? 4th and up is ok to do SOTW 4, in my book.

If I had a particularly sensitive bunch, I'd prob do a year of geography, or Prairie Primer/American Girl or have a bangin' science year with them while the older went thru SOTW 4. I'd hit it later.

How young? 4th and up is ok to do SOTW 4, in my book.

If I had a particularly sensitive bunch, I'd prob do a year of geography, or Prairie Primer/American Girl or have a bangin' science year with them while the older went thru SOTW 4. I'd hit it later.

Thanks! You wouldn't even pull in the 3rd graders?

This is for a co-op type group?

If you can separate them, I'd do a gentler "Modern Heroes" type thing for the younger kids and make it 1-4th grades and make the SOTW4/proper modern history for 3rd and up.  In other words, let parents choose which one their kid is really ready for.  And in the heroes group I'd focus on the leaders and their personal stories of inspiration - so people like Lincoln, FDR, MLK, Jackie Robinson, Gandhi, etc.  And include modern artists and musicians alongside them.  In chronological order.  I think that might be a good way to do an overview of the history and yet focus on positive themes.

I don't know how this would work for a co-op, but we'll be doing Modern with my oldest when my younger son is in 1st.  I plan to focus on the World Cultures and geography with him that correspond with what my oldest is learning.  I sort of gleaned the idea from MFW's curriculum plan (even though I don't use MFW).  I also plan to set aside some time for state history that year.  I like the idea of Modern Heroes above for a co-op.  Maybe tie it in with world cultures and geography.

My older two will get to modern when my #3 is first grade. My current plan is to have her work on either American history or geography while they do SOTW 4. Then, when we start the cycle again my 1 and 2 will be logic stage, 3 will be second grade and 4 will be K.