Menu

What order for Alg 1, Alg 2 & Geo?

Dd is just finishing up Alg 1 in her first year of high school. If she were in ps they would put her in Geometry next year followed by Alg 2 as a junior. She has done well in Alg 1 but much of it didn't come naturally to her. I'm wondering if she should take Alg 2 next year rather than Geometry so she doesn't have a year in between Alg 1 & 2. Is there a reason Geo should come first?

Would love to hear BTDT thoughts and input.

(ds went to ps for high school so this is my first time through high school math)

Both methods can work. A lot of geometry programs include algebra 1 review (and if not, you can add it in yourself) so unless you're using a program for which algebra 2 is really supposed to come before geometry (like videotext) it's usually a good idea to get geometry in next. 

I would do the standard order. In addition to standardized testing concerns, doing alg 1 & 2, then geometry, means a longish gap in algebra by the time you take the next math course - and algebra skills are more important than geometry skills in pre-calc or calculus. 

Even geometry programs with excellent review are only going to review algebra 1 skills. 

I have noticed that some parents on the High School board actually do both Algebra 2 and Geometry at the same time, but take two years or a year and a half to do it.  I am considering doing this with my daughter when we get to that point because she really seems to understand Geometry better than basic Algebra concepts.  Pairing the two might keep her interested in math and help one make better sense of the other, while also preparing her for standardized testing....DD has math difficulties at the lower levels (higher math concepts she does better with), so our situation may be different from yours but I thought I would mention this option since others seem to find it worthwhile.

One reason to do geometry in 10th grade is standardized testing. If she takes the ACT or SAT in fall of junior year, she needs to have completed a geometry course.

Both methods can work. A lot of geometry programs include algebra 1 review (and if not, you can add it in yourself) so unless you're using a program for which algebra 2 is really supposed to come before geometry (like videotext) it's usually a good idea to get geometry in next. 

I would do the standard order. In addition to standardized testing concerns, doing alg 1 & 2, then geometry, means a longish gap in algebra by the time you take the next math course - and algebra skills are more important than geometry skills in pre-calc or calculus. 

Even geometry programs with excellent review are only going to review algebra 1 skills. 

I have noticed that some parents on the High School board actually do both Algebra 2 and Geometry at the same time, but take two years or a year and a half to do it.  I am considering doing this with my daughter when we get to that point because she really seems to understand Geometry better than basic Algebra concepts.  Pairing the two might keep her interested in math and help one make better sense of the other, while also preparing her for standardized testing....DD has math difficulties at the lower levels (higher math concepts she does better with), so our situation may be different from yours but I thought I would mention this option since others seem to find it worthwhile.

THANKS everyone! 

She will be taking ACT and SAT in the fall of junior year so that alone is reason enough to do them in the traditional order.  I hadn't thought about the gap she'd have between Alg 2 and Calc if doing Geo last. The idea of doing them together is interesting. I might give that some more thought.  

THANKS everyone! 

She will be taking ACT and SAT in the fall of junior year so that alone is reason enough to do them in the traditional order.  I hadn't thought about the gap she'd have between Alg 2 and Calc if doing Geo last. The idea of doing them together is interesting. I might give that some more thought.  

You might check old thread of those that paired the two and see how they came out the other end....